Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: square
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 12-5-2004 at 02:11 PM
square

on the "unprofitable instruments" site there's a beautiful - if unusual - reproduction of a medieval english fiddle.  it's square.

http://www.trombamarina.com/unprofitable/Fyddell/fydell.htm

anyone have any thoughts about square, lute like instruments?  

i imagine sound quality would suffer a bit in an angular sound box but are there any other historical, documented instances in which a square design was used instead of the bowl?

- bill
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 06:24 PM

Bill, on the LP The Magic Carpet, Mohammed El-Bakkar is holding a flat back electric oud with sharp lines rather than the traditional smooth flowing circular pear shaped oud. I'm sure very unusual for the oud of the 1960's.
dahun
Oud Addict

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 07:03 PM
square instruments

There are many folk instruments with "angled" shapes in different parts of the world: Africa, Middle East, Mongolia. Many of them are bowed with a hide sound table. I do not know of any of the "art music traditions" using such a shape, though.
At the end it comes down to the simple reason that it would be uncomfortable to tuck a square lute under one's arm. The question of acoustics and aesthetics of the sound is interesting. How would a square oud sound? :(

Béla
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-8-2004 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dahun
.... The question of acoustics and aesthetics of the sound is interesting. How would a square oud sound? :(

Béla

Have you ever seen the Badwan rababa, attached is a photo of an interesting one. As for the sound of a square body maybe a crude instrument could be made out of a shoe box.
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 03:39 AM

And let's not forget the humble but venerable cigar box guitar:
http://cigarboxguitars.com/

On the question of practicalities, Bo Diddley seems not to have too much discomfort tucking a rectangular guitar under his arm.
dahun
Oud Addict

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 03:15 PM

I have been proven wrong and now have learned. That flat guitar shure can be tucked better than a round backed oud that is bent on trying to slide away from you.

I actually have been waiting for "Doc" (Dr. Oud) to join one aspect of this discussion. i.e. about how much the shape influences the sound.

Great picture.

Béla
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 07:14 PM

You can design an oud bowl with little deviation from the traditional and make less bent on sliding away if that is a problem. The lower side of the oud's bowl, the portin that rest on the thigh, could be made flat and slightly concaved and I doubt sound will be noticebly altered.

Regards,
Elie
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 08:39 PM

someone on the cigar box guitar site on yahoo mentioned that rectangular sound boxes might produce what he calls "wolf tones." consensus in the group suggests it won't and he agrees. he built a beautiful guitar with a rectangular sound chamber that tapers towards the neck. he says it produces a better tone than his martin backpacker.

the point is, i don't think my wood working and joinery skills are up to making a bowl but i can certainly handle a box.

- bill
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by billkilpatrick
...consensus in the group suggests it won't and he agrees. he built a beautiful guitar with a rectangular sound chamber that tapers towards the neck. he says it produces a better tone than his martin backpacker.
- bill

Hi Bill... been a long time buddy,

My three cents:

I don't think it matters what the shape of the body is on a solid body electric guitar or electric oud for that matter, it could be shaped like pink flamingos and most likely not affect the sound much.

When it comes to acoustic ouds I would think that the shape of the body from half pear concave bowl to a cigar box would affect the sound quite a bit.

As for the acoustic guitar the effect of changing from standard body shape to a cigar box might be a lot less noticable, since the original back is flat anyway and the body is almost shaped like a box with rounded corners.

Regards,
Elie

Go To Top