Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud teacher in London
alembic1989
Oud Admirer

Mood: fizzin'

[*] posted on 10-23-2013 at 04:42 AM
Oud teacher in London

hello to all.
I started oud lessons in February with Ahmed Mukhtar, and have enjoyed my lessons very much...unfortunately the lesson venue has moved and is now too far for me to travel.
Does anyone know of a good teacher in the London area..who teaches Iraqi style (like Ahmed)....I don't want to give up..but am getting fed up of practising the same thing over and over again.
I would be grateful for any help.
thanks in advanced
Raj (near Heathrow Airport..UK)
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 03:22 AM

Hi Alembic, I am not a teacher but I am also based in London. I know how hard it is, even in a city like this, to find other oud players and oud resources.

I can only offer you one piece of advice since I am self-taught also: when you start to get bored, do something new. Learn a new makam, a new rhythm or a new style. I think with any instrument the period of ennui can set in if we're not progressing. I have scoured the internet looking for good learning resources and the only way I learn is by experimenting with makamlar over and over... by doing this you will just discover something new that will take you forward.

There are unconventional ways to learn an instrument, but no wrong way. The only wrong way is the way that which gets you bored and stops you playing. Everyone is different. For me, in all the instruments I've played, I've never done theory exercises because they're the "interest killer". If you sit there doing exercise you are sure to get bored. Just do whatever you need to keep things interesting. If you think you are playing hicaz and nihavent too much, do something else. Or play hicaz over and over till you master it and learn each iteration!
hama
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 05:10 AM

Ehsan Emam is from Iraq and teaches oud , based in West london Ealing
you can contact him on 07956492211
you can mention my name
regards
hama

hama
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood