Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to change Oud strings
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 10-25-2013 at 09:05 PM
How to change Oud strings

I'm surethis has been done 100 times over but I've added another beginner video for those just learning how to change their Oud strings. I'm still learning things too :cool:

http://www.oudforguitarists.com/how-to-change-oud-strings/

Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-25-2013 at 02:44 AM

Bumping for appreciation.

Thanks for this. I have had my oud for a few months and haven't had to change the strings yet though the time is approaching. Though I've changed guitar string many times, it's been with geared pegs, though this is slightly different.

How often would one recommend the strings be changed? Every six months or so?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-25-2013 at 07:55 AM

depending on how much you play, the sound you like, and the strings you are using, anywhere between 3 and 9 months.

Some strings last much longer than others, so you have to take that into account. For most people, every 6 months or so is a good rule of thumb. Some people find that they can change the wounds and keep the trebles longer, others the opposite (weird, I know).

Some people just like brighter-sounding strings, so they have to change more often.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Danielo
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-25-2013 at 11:30 AM

Hi,

If you change the strings twice a year, it may be advisable to do so at the beginning of winter and at the beginning of summer.

These last days, with the increasing dryness of the atmosphere the pegs of my oud are beginning to slip so it is the perfect moment to change the strings and add some soap/chalk at the same time. When summer will come, they will probably be to tight fit because of the increasing humidity levels so I'll need to adjust the pegs' friction again.

Dan
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 11-25-2013 at 08:47 PM

I agree with Brian. It depends on how often you play, how the oil on your skin reacts to the strings, everything really. But I change my strings every 6 or 8 months. This last time, I changed the strings after a whole year pretty much. And I really liked the fresh sound of the new aquilas I am using, so maybe I will change them every 6 months from now on. Sometimes a new set of strings really brings your Oud to life again. Sometimes it's good to keep them old and warm.

Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-26-2013 at 01:27 AM

Humidity seems to be pretty constant at my place and it's 60%-70% even at this time of year. Nevertheless, this oud was strung in June/July so it's time for a replacement soon. No idea of the gauge of my current strings, but I have bought a set of the Üstad Necati Çelik strings and I'm sure they will do fine.
NeighborOud
Oud Lover

Mood: In the mood...

[*] posted on 11-27-2013 at 11:12 AM

Unlike the instructions on your web page, I find it much easier to start at the peg, wind a few turns, then tie the string to the bridge, tension the string to take up the slack and make sure nothing slips, then cut the excess length :)

François
Toronto, Canada

Go To Top