Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to attach a rosette
Arto
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 03:20 AM
How to attach a rosette

I have a Haluk Eraydin student oud. I had not played it for a while, and when I picked it up again, I noticed the main rosette had fallen off into the bowl. The rosette seems to be quite intact. Is there anything I ought to know, when I reattach it? I suppose some drops of basic wood glue along the perimeter of the rosette (or along the inside of the soundhole?) would be needed, but something that would still allow the rosette to be taken off for other possible repairs if needed? Thanks!
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 04:20 AM

Arto - do a forum search for 'glue rosette' - the topic of removal/ re-gluing of rosettes has been covered in detail on several occasions.

Some rosettes have the convenience of a slot cut in the side so that they can be removed from the bowl without having to remove the sound board. If so, 'fish' for the rosette with a thin wire hook and remove it. Otherwise, temporarily suspend the rosette in position with a pieces of string threaded through the holes in the rosette.
Clean off as much of the old glue as possible from both rosette and underside of sound board around the sound hole with a flat sandpaper block or a scraper and make smooth, flat gluing surfaces. Old glue may prevent the new glue sticking properly - particularly if synthetic glues were originally used.

Do not use synthetic glues like contact cement, super glue, PVA etc. if you want to be able to remove/replace the rosette in future - use water soluble hot hide glue or liquid fish glue. If you do not have experience with hot hide glue use liquid fish glue (Lee Valley of Ottawa sell high tack fish glue in small quantities - cat. no. 56K60.04 for 15ml) - it allows plenty of time for positioning and clamping of the rosette before curing. The rosette may be clamped in place until the glue has dried by tying the supporting string to a piece of wood placed across the sound hole.

In the 'good old days' some oud makers supported the rosette with notched side braces so the rosette could never fall out (or be removed without removing the sound board).
Arto
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 06:11 AM

Thanks so much! :)

Go To Top