Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Amazing young armenian lady
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-24-2013 at 04:24 PM

John, "nothing other than the eastern urban music" was meant in the sense of "none other than", i.e. "the same as"
I see how you got confused by reading it quickly but M. Toumajan is saying basically that Armenian liturgical music is part of the system of Ottoman Classical music, utilizing the same makams etc. Maybe he thought that was bad, or a late development, I don't know, all I know is he says thats how it is.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 11-26-2013 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hartun  
John, "nothing other than the eastern urban music" was meant in the sense of "none other than", i.e. "the same as"
I see how you got confused by reading it quickly but M. Toumajan is saying basically that Armenian liturgical music is part of the system of Ottoman Classical music, utilizing the same makams etc. Maybe he thought that was bad, or a late development, I don't know, all I know is he says thats how it is.

Okay. I took it more in the negative sense of "nothing unique" or "nothing special." I get the meaning now. It's actually the opposite of Touma's attitude toward Christian chant in the Arab World.

Peace out,
"Udi" John
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top