Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Great oud players
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 10:27 AM
Great oud players

The discussion on another thread about top oud players has set me thinking... Only a handful of players from the last century or so are considered truly great today (Hrant, Bacanos, Qasabji, Sunbati etc.) but there must have been many more who were rated highly in their day. So which of today's oud players do you think people still be listening to in say 50 or 100 years time and why?

David

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 01:39 PM

Great idea David, I was thinking it was a discussion which deserved its own topic. I think one factor which will influence this is which musician actually goes in a studio and produces a series of recordings vs amateur recordings on youtube and other media.

If I was to name a few oudists who will still be listened to and spoken of in 50-100 years, I think Simon Shaheen and Yurdal Tokcan come to mind right away.

I wonder what the others have to say.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 04:44 AM

I don't know why I bother trying to start interesting threads on here. Probably should have stuck with something along the lines of "What do you think of this oud on Ebay?" or "Does anyone know the lyrics to this song?" :rolleyes:

Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 05:44 AM

There are tonnes of interesting threads on here David, looks like I just missed this one[!]

Legendary players is kind of what we're talking about. Yurdal Tokcan is a good call, one of the better and more interesting Turkish oud players. His Saray album is truly excellent in terms of inventiveness, atmosphere and technicality. His playing really stands out for me. I also think Driss el Maloumi is very overlooked, purely because of the amount of emotion in his work. However, I run the risk of turning this post into "oud players that I like" rather than answering your question.

At this stage of my playing career [only a few months in] I cannot give enough authority to criticise the technical brilliance of players to see who will stand out from the pack in decades to come. I do think Naseer Shamma will quite easily make it into the category though.
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 03:05 PM

Good topic!:)

I would add Hussein El Masry, Muhammad Qadri Dalal, Mehmet Bitmez, Hossein Behroozinia, and Salim Fergani.

Go To Top