Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is the Moroccan oud very different from other arabic ouds?
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 02:16 PM
Is the Moroccan oud very different from other arabic ouds?

Hi guys, I've been enjoying this forum ever since I got my first oud (turkish) and tomorrow I'm going to look at a Moroccan oud for sale . I know all the usual caveats, that arabic ouds vary greatly and feel that I'll be able to tell reasonably if it's any good or not. The seller (not an oud player) got it from someone in Morocco and keeps emphasizing that it is a MOROCCAN oud, so my question here is...is there much of a difference between Moroccan ouds and other arabic-style ouds? What I'm hoping for is an araby sounding instrument that will resonate lower than my Turkish one and where I can play my favorite Oum Koulthoum songs, etc! I'm enclosing a picture and thank you so much in advance for any advice! I love the oud forum.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 02:56 PM

To my eye the unusual element about this oud is that the soundboard seems to be made of many pieces, some of which are quite short and which are glued to other short pieces to attain the full length of the soundboard. I've seen many ouds with soundboards of 6 or 8 pieces but this one seems to have at least 12. It might sound fine. Or not. I don't think it matters much if this glueing together took place in Morocco or New Jersey. The soundboard looks a bit like a parquet floor made on a day when everyone at the factory was drunk. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE this look but I don't know how it will sound. I also cannot tell from the photo if the soundboard has been stained and or finished with something or whether it's relatively dark color is just from age and exposure to light.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
The soundboard looks a bit like a parquet floor made on a day when everyone at the factory was drunk

:))

My thoughts too. Might sound great, though . . . it looks old and it hasn't fallen apart, that's a good sign.

Moroccan ouds are not vastly different than other Arabic ouds. There is a kind of "octave oud" type instrument that some players in Morocco play, but this looks like a normal oud.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 03:44 PM

That IS interesting regarding the soundboard. Thanks for your advice about it.
nouphar
Oud Maniac

Mood: No mood

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 09:24 AM

Hey Brian, what do you mean with "octave oud"? An oud with octave stringing just like 12 string guitars?

In this video Master Said Chraibi plays a fretted oud, which seems to be tuned higher than normal.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J5C8kxxhGeQ

Go To Top