Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Action adjusting mechanism
theodoropoulos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-25-2013 at 09:47 AM
Action adjusting mechanism

First of all i want to thank all the family here for the quick responses on my questions.Besides the level here is very high ,compared to other forums.
So this period,by studing the amazing Oud of Fadi Matta and Alami,besides the whole design ,i noticed the mechanism of adjusting the action..
I could not understand the mechanism...I searched the forum and to be honest i did find what i was searching for...
And what was that??not a truss rod mechanism but something different...like Matta's oud...or similar...
Any help or scetch would be very nice!
:)

ps :this is what am i talking about

Cheers from Crete,still not cold this days...:))

bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 11-25-2013 at 06:42 PM

One nut is to loosen the locking mechanism, the other is to adjust. I forget which is which, but you loosen one, then pull the neck by hand in the direction you want it to go, lower or higher (for the action), as you are bending the neck you move the adjuster screw, once its at the desired height, you then lock it into place with the locking nut. I have a friend that made a video on how to adjust, I will try to find it for you.

Another thing I'd like to add, I've came across a couple of his ouds where the mechanism was broken. I'm not putting any blame as I cannot say if it was from installation or someone who didn't know how to adjust the neck, and either broke or stripped the screw, but it is possible to have this system malfunction. If that is the case, it would require replacement of the hardware, which is not simple, but also not impossible.

Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 11-25-2013 at 11:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
. I have a friend that made a video on how to adjust, I will try to find it for you.

Hi, I think our friend has removed all or most of his videos on youtube, I really doubt this particular one can be found.

This mechanism is indeed amazing, solid, and practical. However, not the most aesthetic thing to look at.

ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-26-2013 at 12:57 AM

Fadi's system works very well, I have 2 ouds, the oldest one is a floating bridge with his old system with one ring instead of 2 now. Never had a problem with both.
Unlike the systems where you need to go inside the bowl to adjust the action, loose the strings and cannot have rosette, Fadi's system is very practical.

I use it frequently, when I am playing alone, late, I set the action very low, I buzzes a bit but the playing becomes very easy and I can play very long without fatigue.
When you want a loud crystal clear sound, you set it higher.
theodoropoulos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-26-2013 at 03:39 AM

Guys thank you for the responses!!
I really like this idea of the access at this point and not from other areas ...I dont know if that mechanism will remain workable throught time but i think it is a matter of installation and conservation...
If the videos are not found,could anybody draw the mechanism schetch?
does he use another mechanism which turns the vertical axis to horizontal?this is my only problem...
theodoropoulos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-26-2013 at 12:25 PM

i also dont understand,if the finerboard is glued(long fingerboard),then how does all system moves with adjustments???
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-27-2013 at 01:26 AM

Theo,

The upper knob is to lock the mechanism. In order to change the action, you unlock the upper knob, then you use the other one to set the angle you need. Once this is done you have to lock the upper knob.

As for the fingerboard, it is divided into two pieces, one on the neck and the other one on the soundboard. Regardless of how much you change the angle (also called action), you can play with no fear of buzzing at the junction neck-body.

Hope this helps.

Best.

OF

theodoropoulos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-27-2013 at 01:32 AM

my friend this helped me a lot!!!!

thank you so much!:D:D;):bounce::bounce::bounce:

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 11-29-2013 at 09:37 PM

Does anyone of you can tell how that can affect the weight of the neck,the balance of the instrument,the right transmission of the vibration and if that can be a problem of ''adjusting'' all the time the neck about cracks on the soundboard?
Best
Spyros

theodoropoulos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 01:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by spyros mesogeia  
Does anyone of you can tell how that can affect the weight of the neck,the balance of the instrument,the right transmission of the vibration and if that can be a problem of ''adjusting'' all the time the neck about cracks on the soundboard?
Best
Spyros

Spyros (Hi From Greece) by setting bigger angles,you increase the volume and the sustain in my opinion..

As far as mechanisc concerns i dont think there is a problem from continious shifts ,because the changes are very small...

thats my point...
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 05:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by spyros mesogeia  
Best
Spyros

Spyros, it affects nothing and the execution is perfectly done. You surely know it very well.
Surprised of your question, since you are known to be familiar with Matta's instrument, through an esteemed member of this forum. I still remember your oppa shinanai youtube in this friendly gathering. Wish it was still online! Best

Go To Top