Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aquila strings and tension
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 11:58 PM
Aquila strings and tension

I've had on the Aquila "arabic" set on my oud for about 6 weeks now. I love them, except, I've noticed that they're higher tension (38 N). They felt tighter, and they raised my action. Has anyone had this experience? (Previously, I was using Pyramid)

I decided to tuned by oud lower by 1/2 step to see how they feel. WOW, what a difference in sound and playability. I think this set might be better suited at this tension (34N, when you lower the tuning by 1/2 step).

Any thoughts?
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 05:41 AM

I am on my second set. They are tighter, but by the second set my fingers got strong enough that the strings felt as lower tensioned. I didn't notice any raising of action on my cheap Syrian (never tried to measure and compare.) And the Aquilas always sounded great.

Regards,
Elie
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 05:53 AM

Hi Sam,

I've also noticed a slight raise in action on my Arabic and Turkish oud. I'm more worried about the Najarian oud b/c it's more delicate, so I hope that this does not cause long term problems for me, like warping of the neck. So far it seems fine, and the strings seem to wear in nicely after a while. The sound is stronger and deeper also, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

We'll see. These strings are probably not a great idea for ouds that already have medium to high action. Unfortunately tuning a 1/2 step lower, or a whole step isn't an option for me. Maybe these guys at Aquila can make sets that are less "intense" for us over time.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 05:54 AM

Sam,

I just restrung my Sukar with Aquilas. I love them. I think the G could be a little sweeter, but the high C has that sweet twang that I've been looking for. Almost like Simon Shaheen's oud. The tension doesn't bother me, and my scale is 61cm. I've only had them on for a couple days, but after a week or so, I think I'll tune down to give your idea a shot.

samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 11:04 AM

Fellows,

After 2 days with my oud tuned 1/2 lower, I am still amazed at how my oud plays. I'm probably a big baby when it comes to my action, but it really is like a different oud in terms of playability. The action is perfect: doing "hammer-on" and "pull-offs" are easy to do and sound clear. Before, they didn't sounded clear. This probably due to my skinny, girly, fingers!

I think I am going to try to talk to Mimo about creating a set that is at this tension for arabic tuning. Anyone interested? Maybe both Turksih and Arab sets should be less tension? I bet if we the oud playing community reach a consensus, the folks at would be willing to accomadate our needs. . .
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 11:57 AM

The current Aquila Arabic set has the following tensions in N for 630 mm scale length:
40.5 - C2
38.0 - F2
39.3 - A2
48.0 - D3
37.7 - G3
46.2 - C4
The plain strings will probably stretch out during the break in period and settle at lower tensions.

It would be interesting to experiment with lighter Aquila strings set with each string tension for Arabic tuning around 34 N. I would be willing to try a set. In fact, I previously hypothized, based on trying different strings at different tensions on my cheap Syrian, that around 34 N may be ideal same as Sam is may be finding out.

However, making lighter strings may cause the tone not be as deep or as bassy. I know that the oud has a lot to do with the tone but based on my experience, the larger the gage (not necessarily denser) produced a deeper tone than a smaller gage when both where tuned to same frequency, had same tension and installed in the same oud.

Elie
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 02:28 PM

Some of those tensions seem high, especially the d string. How did you get those numbers?

I was told by someone from Aquila that the arabic set produced around 41 N for each string (for 63 cm). A general rule of thumb I use is that the for each 1 cm for length, you increase/decrease the N by 1. And for each semi-tone you increase/decrease the tension by 4 N. (This is consistent with variouys string calculators I've seen)

So, I calculated that I have 38 N of tension for each course on my oud (60 cm). And now with it tuned a 1/2 tone down, it is now at 34 N. I am almost certain that's where its at because its consitent with how my oud felt when I had on 35 N lute strings.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by samzayed
.... How did you get those numbers?

I use a formula I derived based on Physics of waves. The formula calculates tension as a function of frequency, length of vibrating string and the linear mass density of the string. I measured the linear mass density for each string. You could search the forums for more details that I posted in the past.

Regards,
Elie
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 05:52 PM

sounds very scientific. I wasn't doubting your numbers, I was curious. My tool for measuring tension has been my finger :)

You know, the d seems a bit stiffer than the rest. Thanks for the info, Elie!

Cheers,

Sam
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by samzayed
...You know, the d seems a bit stiffer than the rest. ...

Cheers,

Sam

And what do you think of the stiffness of the C4?

PS. I am not offended by questions.

Regards,
Elie
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 09:52 PM

Elie,

For the Nylguts, do you know if the linear mass density is substantially different for strings under nominal tension vs. no tension?

Freya
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by freya
Elie,

For the Nylguts, do you know if the linear mass density is substantially different for strings under nominal tension vs. no tension?

Freya

I am assuming that if there is any it negligble (As the string is stretched the denstity gets smaller by a very small amount, thus requiring less tension to reach the desired frequency, making the actual tension less than calculated by a very small negligible amount.) However after the strings settle, supposedly the plain ones stretch enough that the tension on them is lower than before which tells me that there is enough mass redistribution to lower the tension by few newtons.

Elie
aquila
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 10:55 AM
about Aquila arabic oud set

hello ukelovers, I am sorry if I answer you so late.
I have seen that some of you like the aquila set oud in arabic tuning a semitone down than the standard set. I am confuse: many like the tension of this set and some others need a semitone down in tension. Well, for these friends my suggestion is to employ just the turkish set one: the thension, on an an arabic oud of 62 cms is just a semitone less.
Is this ok?
Ciao and love
Mimmo:)
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 11:40 AM

Mimmo, hello my friend. Is it possible to order the strings individually based on linear mass density. In other words if the strings are classified by the linear mass density and buying them individually is an option, one could create their own custome sets. I am willing to provide a calculator if the linear mass density for your strings are published.

I still think the Arabic set sounds the best of what I have tried so far.

Regards,
Elie Riachi
aquila
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 12:30 PM

Oh Elie!
Happy to ear by you.
My problem is that it is very complicate to follow all the options.
Aquila is a very little company: just 2 persons are in working on strings! me and Roberta. Gianfranco follow the expeditions only.
I have standardize every phase to make the work faster and at the best but there is a lot of time that need to make gut strings than the syntetics. All the strings are made by hands, not by automatic spinning machines.
So, I think better to see what to do for an arabic set with light tension beyiond the standard one already into the market.
I love the music and my work so i am sure to try, with your help. hte best,
Grazie!
Elias, keep in touch and tell me about the new set with pure silver into the basses and true guts 1 st and 2nd...
Mimmo
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 03:37 PM

A question to the experts...

I have a Turkish Oud but i use Arabic tuning (highest treble string C ) . Which Aquila strings set should i order? Arabic or Turkish? Confused :rolleyes:

Thanks in Advance

Nikos
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Multi Kulti
...I have a Turkish Oud but i use Arabic tuning (highest treble string C ) . Which Aquila strings set should i order? Arabic or Turkish?.....

Hi Nikos,

I believe Turkish tuning is higher pitch than Arabic. So when you use a Turkish set tunned to Arabic, the tension will be lower and if you are happy with the feel then no harm is done. But when you use an Arabic set and tune it Turkish, the tensions will be much higher and you could really harm the oud, especially a Turkish oud since I read that Turkish ouds are more delicate than the Arabic ones.
So I would say the safest would be Turkish, but if the tension is to weak, then you could probably use Arabic set which will produce lower tension on a Turkish oud than Arabic provided that the Turkish oud is shorter scale length than the Arabic oud.

Regards,
Elie
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 09:58 AM

Hi Mimmo,

Thanks for all your great work and dedication. Do you think it's possible to make a Turkish set with a slightly lighter tension? I use a typical tuning: E A B e a d

I understand if it's too much to ask, but it's something I'd really be interested in.

Hope to hear from you soon.

:)

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 01:29 PM
What about Bashir ouds?

While we're at it, as far as wish lists:

What about a set of strings for 7-course Bashir like: CFAdgcf at about 40-45 Newtons? for maybe 59 cm or so!

... just a thought.

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 07:26 PM

Hello Mimmo!

First of all, I'd like to that your strings are amazing! And this is one of the few things the oud playing community agrees on. Let this be a testament to your genius!

I'm a little confused about how the Turkish set can be used for arabic tuning. The turkish tuning is actually a whole tone higher than arabic tuning. Even with this, the tension between the two sets is a semi-tone less? If this true, then I will defintely try the turkish set.

I know how difficult it is to accomadate everyone's needs. Thank you for your sincerity.

Best wishes,

Sam
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-25-2004 at 06:09 PM

Hello,

To check if the action is changed under the tension from the Aquila Arabic set on my Syrian knock off, I loosened the tension in all strings to a minimal ~0 so that the strings are just straigt. Then I measured the height of the string from the the fingerboard at the neck-bowl joint. Then I tensioned all strings to the intended standard Arabic tuning. This put the total tension of all strings just a hair under 500 newtons. Then I measured the height of strings from fingerboard at the joint and found no change to within 0.5 mm. This oud must have been built like the golden gate bridge (For an oud this might be good or bad.) :D :D :D

Go To Top