Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: My wife runs when she hears the oud...
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 12:42 PM
My wife runs when she hears the oud...

I saw a movie some years ago. It took place in Lebanon, and in one scene the father took his oud down to play and his wife got a misty look in her eyes and said something like, "I love it when you play your oud!" I thought that this is how it would be one day in my house. Instead my wife says she can't stand the sound and is tired of hearing it all of the time (And I'm a decent player by the way). "Don't you think it's a sweet sound though?" I ask and she replies, "If you hear something over and over after a while it just sounds like noise." The funniest part is that I am an accordionist for a living. But I only play the accordion outside of the house.
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 12:59 PM

Haha! I love that story. My wife is the opposite, she loves it when I play the oud. Probably because it reminds her of being back home in Turkey.

When I first started it she did say, "you play the same thing all the time" but that was because I was only playing hijaz. Now my maqams have expanded I no longer hear that complaint.
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 01:47 PM

That is really funny. I have found that everybody who has overheard me practicing or playing doesn't seem to find it annoying.

In my house, playing the Oud gets a free pass, however playing my Mandolin is sometimes a problem. I have to choose the time wisely. That little thing cuts through everything...

spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 03:13 PM

why don't u use a silent oud with an amp and headphones? it will totally cost about 800$ but will definitely solve your problem. just in case u love her and dont wanna have problem with her. :D
its very strange though, here in Iran being an instrumentalist make u sexy for girls!

The Oud is my life, n my life is the Oud
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 03:24 PM

Oh, it's ok I just wait until she goes to bed and then I play until 1 AM. But maybe if I threaten to play more during the day she'll give me $800 for the silent one!
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 05:03 PM

LOL, this is great topic.

I've only been playing the oud for 8 months. I have played an instrument before, so reading music wasn't a problem for me, nor was the theory really, but of course I'm still a total beginner. I generally play for 2 hours a day, if not significantly more.

For the first couple of months my wife also told me that everything I played sounded the same. Not only was I only playing compositions in Rast, but...due to my having just started, I'm sure it all sounded equally crappy. When I got a bit better and my teacher gave me nice compositions in different makam-s, my wife started to notice differences. But even still, when you're playing for hours every day, the people you are living with are going to "tune it out"...not pay close attention. And then, I think it will always sound the same...it's always "oud music" if you're not paying attention.

I also think back to when I first started. I bought a Munir Beken CD with compositions in various makam-s. Without having studied the makam-s, I could not have distinguished between them. So, it's not reasonable to assume that someone who doesn't play Turkish/Arabic/Persian music is going to be able to distinguish them either. I've met a couple of Turkish people who don't play, and they've heard of some makam names, but told me they could never recognize a given makam. I shouldn't expect my wife to be able to do so either!

Anyway, it took several months before my wife told me, "I can't take it anymore!". I was surprised she hadn't exploded sooner, actually, considering we live in a pretty small apartment and I was playing for many hours a day at that time. My teacher is a music therapist, and when I told him about it, he told me...of course...music/sound has a substantial effect on a person. Especially at first, when a person is just practicing and isn't so good, I think it's natural that a spouse or roommate isn't going to love it. But even after a practitioner gets really good...I'm not so sure.

I'm friends with a couple who are both professional piano players. The man told me, a musician's spouse will never like his music, because she/he will have heard it all too many times. Surely there are some exceptions. But to me, it's a pity!

I have thought of only practicing away from my wife. That may help her to appreciate the oud when I do play for her. Otherwise, if I did/do play something for her, she has already heard it 100+ times.
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 10:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Eric Stern Music  
I saw a movie some years ago. It took place in Lebanon, and in one scene the father took his oud down to play and his wife got a misty look in her eyes and said something like, "I love it when you play your oud!" .

After reading your post, this scene poignant scene comes immediately into mind, is it the one you're talking about? Last scene of "West Beirut" movie by Ziad Doueiri.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txbLn42Jx1s‎

Not really a middle eastern style of oud playing, still it is ideal for this mood and ambiance. Great soulful playing of master John Bilezikjian. Full of emotion.

Hope you enjoy.

Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 10:48 PM

Hey thanks for posting that clip...I couldn't remember the name of the movie but, yes that's the scene I was recalling from years ago. As you can see in the clip, the wife is wearing a nice negligee and lights a cigarette sexily. My wife is beautiful as well but instead of lighting the cigarette she will get up, walk away, and turn on the blender!
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 10:55 PM

And David, you are right. I'm a professional musician (not a professional oudist, that's just for fun and it feeds my soul), and my wife blocks most of the music out. I will say one thing in her defense. It's a noisy house: there's me with my oud and accordion, my son with his violin, and of all things in our basement we have a couple living there who play the trumpet and the trombone! But since the oud is so different from all of those things and softer that those other instruments, I was sure she would love it...like the woman in the movie. But you know a lot of fantasies come from movies! Still I envy you guys with girlfriends and wives (or vice-versa if you are a female oud player) who actually ENJOY listening to you play your oud.
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 11:55 PM

Eric, I suggest you post a short youtube link so we can vote whether your wife is right or wrong!:cool:)

great movie West Beirut : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Beirut_%28film%29

The wife is performed by Carmen Lebbos, and the husband by Joseph Bou Nassar. Very sincere and expressive actors.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 06:00 AM

great thread,
It's also enjoyed that movie, a lot of great actors in that one. We have to remember that movies arent real unfortunately. Its every oud player's dream that his women comes to him and says: hayati go get your oud and dandan for me while I poor you a scotch and light your arguileh.

For what its worth I am somewhat in the same boat. Although my wife enjoys my casual playing, partly because my daughter is quiet when I play. She isnt a fan of Oum Katlhoum however, which is what I enjoy playing most...
that said, she definately cannot stand when I am rehearsing a particular peice for hours which I only do if I have a gig coming up. Its funny that this topic is coming up now because I have been driving her particularly nuts with the palestinian national anthem (which is so repetitive) this week since I am performing at a reception in the honor of the consul general for palestine tomorrow.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 09:23 AM

My wife loves the oud and asks me all the time to play.

Of course, this may be because about 7 months ago I started on the kanun.

-Stephen
Microber
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 11:55 AM

My ex-wife also didn't like the oud. Although she had encouraged me to buy my first oud when we had travelled to Istanbul.
Now my new wife loves it when I play. She says : let the door open so I can hear you playing when I'm sleeping :)
But I have to say that she loves everything I do. :D
I hope that will last...

Robert
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 01:04 PM

OK ladies and gentlemen of the jury. Some of you have asked me to post a video of me playing to see if it is actually that bad. So I will let all of you judge. I make no claims to be amazing or professional. I am just a hobbyist BUT I'll be a good sport if you tell me you think my wife is justified in her "noise" approach. Just to clarify, the only one "running" is my wife, but she doesn't really run, she just rolls her eyes and calls it noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PVkRtWm0Zs&feature=youtu.be

Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 01:08 PM

...and turns on the blender...
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 07:51 PM

Okay you guys, you can tell me if I'm really THAT bad. Like I said I'll be a good sport and I'm always hoping to improve...
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 11:00 PM

It definitely can be a lot better. Keep it up! Bring some earplugs to your wife and practice endlessly:D

Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 11:23 PM

Uh oh! Maybe my wife is right! That's cool, I'm addicted no matter what...
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 05:59 AM

listen, we all start somewhere so its very brave of you to post something in order to get advice.

I think you should harness the power of the moustache and wax it like Abou l'3abed. It may help you ;)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=abou+abed&source=lnms&tbm=isc...

For real, keep at it but also keep listening to the pros. They will give you an idea of what to aim for in your playing.

one more advice. Playing improvisations is great but really as a beginer you should try to play peices and other structured excercises because this is what will build you the right foundation of learning how the maqamat interact so your improvisations make sense musicaly. I did recognize you were playing inta omri towards the end which is great but try to keep with the rythm.

One more thing, hold your risha tighter and play a bit further than the soundhole. Also, Pay attention to the tuning of your oud. I heard some strings which arent tuned properly.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 08:35 AM

I really appreciate that advice. I've been playing for almost a year now and following this forum and everyone is so supportive and generous. I actually LIKE being a beginner at something...it puts you in a very good state of mind and you learn to appreciate the hard work others have done. I'll keep trying.
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
one more advice. Playing improvisations is great but really as a beginer you should try to play peices and other structured excercises because this is what will build you the right foundation of learning how the maqamat interact so your improvisations make sense musicaly.

I was going to suggest the same thing. My teacher has been giving me well known/regarded compositions in each makam I'm learning, and I am focusing on playing those rather than improvisation...at first. He did tell me to practice improvisation early on, but not until I understand the progression of the makam, based on seyir and/or compositions.

I don't think there is a hard rule for everyone, but he told me that as a rule of thumb, I should learn ~15 compositions in a makam in order to have a good feeling for it, how different composers approach it, common modulations to other makam-s, etc.

Playing compositions, you can sound pretty good, pretty fast, as long as you do keep your oud tuned. :)
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 10:20 AM

We cannot see your picking hand in the video (are you left handed or is the video reversed?). In any case the sound is similar to what would be gotten with a small guitar plectrum. To get an authentic oud sound the down stroke must involve both gravity and the wrist and although there are small varieties of plectrum grip, the best voice of an oud remains buried unless brought out by a particular technique. Search this website for details. One of your strings has a fierce buzz. Maybe your wife is only trying to harmonize by turning on the blender. ;-)
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by spyblaster  
why don't u use a silent oud with an amp and headphones? it will totally cost about 800$ but will definitely solve your problem. just in case u love her and dont wanna have problem with her. :D
its very strange though, here in Iran being an instrumentalist make u sexy for girls!

LOL! After two very unsuccessful attempts at music (viola at 9; trombone at 10), I started playing guitar when I was 13, because I thought it would make me popular with the girls. However, I quickly switched from playing rock-n-roll to playing jazz, and it had the opposite effect (I grew up in a provincial capital, not a cosmopolitan city). I now live in a much more cosmopolitan city, and I do get a bit of attention as an oud player. Certainly not "rock star status," but I think the music is partly what drew my wife to me. She definately prefers to hear oud more than guitar, as have the two cats we've had since we've been together. The musical tastes of our 9-year-old son are totally opposite, though...
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 04:18 PM

So as I said I appreciate the feedback everybody but let me clarify I didn't actually post the video for advice (I like the advice I'm getting), but just as a response to Oud Freak who said:

"Eric, I suggest you post a short youtube link so we can vote whether your wife is right or wrong!:cool"

So the vote is probably that she is RIGHT! OK, she still loves me. Here's what I'm asking...since you guys are so nice to point out stuff can I post another one (I'll play my Turkish oud this time) with the INTENT of getting feedback? Would that be ok? I don't want to take up people's time and I know that there are all sorts of skype lessons too get so I'm not asking for a bunch of free lessons but maybe ONE diagnostic from a video with the actual intention of getting feedback, unlike last time? Thanks guys, you have been super helpful.
Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 10:01 PM

Dear Eric,

I hope your accordion playing is better than your oud playing ... :D

I had the same impression like most other guys who wrote before me: 1. find a good teacher, 2. instead of improvising why don't you try to play some melodic and easy tunes like "Uskudara" or "the stone rose" (I attach a scan from Marian Toshich's book "The Basics of Oud") - I am pretty sure your wife will appreciate more this sweet tunes, at least so does my wife...
Sorry for the advice you were not looking for...
anyway, keep on going!

Alexander
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top