Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Do you like Persian music?
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 02:08 PM
Do you like Persian music?

Hello everyone,

I've written another article about Persian music and the dastgah system. This time I tackle Homayoun and Esfahan, the equivalent to Arabic Hijaz or western harmonic minor scales. There are also Oud sound clips demonstrating some possible modulations and uses of notes. I would love to know what you all think, have any observations? Thanks.

http://www.majnuunmusicanddance.com/homayoun-esfahan-persian-music/

:buttrock:

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 10:11 AM

Hello

I don't have any observation, but just thank you for your articles.
I love listening to persian music, but don't have any background in the persian music system. So it's always a good enlightening reading your articles

best

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 03:24 PM

Hello again,

Here is a continuation on the Persian musical system. This time we deal with dastgah shur, which is closely related to Arabic Bayati.

http://www.majnuunmusicanddance.com/shur-persian-music/

I would be glad to hear some comments, even suggestions that would make these posts better. So anything is welcome. Thanks!

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 01:01 AM

Arabic Maqam and Persian Dastgah Comparison and Equivalents

http://www.oudforguitarists.com/arabic-and-persian-music-maqam-dast...

RobMacKillop
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 04:41 AM

Navid,

I have just spent 30 minutes look at your Oud For Guitarists website, and am very impressed with your willingness to share, and your clarity of presentation. I wish someone would do the same for Turkish oud! But you might persuade me to study Persian music...

Rob
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 10:15 PM

Thank you Rob, I'm glad it's been helpful to you.

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 10:16 PM

The next installment of Persian Dastgah system. This time it's about

Avaz-e Abu Ata also known as

Dastaan-e Arab!

Lots of sound files included.

http://www.majnuunmusicanddance.com/avaz-e-abu-ata-persian-music-co...

bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 07:28 PM

I really love Persian music. When I'm making and repairing, I'm usually listening to Persian music, takes me to another place. So my ouds are saturated with the sound of Persian classical. Here you can hear what I'm listening to while I carve a rosette! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWFL4N5DwNQ

Dastgah chahargah is particularly nice and different compared to Arabic maqamaat.

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 08:05 AM

I am deeply involved in Persian culture, I started trying to play santur in 1975, without any information from anyone (I did ask every Persian musician I met, none would or could teach me). After marrying my Persian Princess, I traveled to Iran where I felt like I had come home. It's the only place I feel like I really belong. The food, the people, my Persian family, the places, both ancient and modern all seem like I've always been there. In Iran my music and instrument making are appreciated like nowhere else. I've played with some incredible musicians there, way beyond my level and received only encouragement and respect. I studied with a santur player in the US using notation, and without any reference recording, only the class review.(WTF?) When I went to class in Tehran with Majid Kiani, he told me to forget notes, just listen to recordings and play what I feel. Every musician I played with in Iran told me they feel the music I play. In the US every Persian musician I meet just wants to teach me for $. In Iran, its all about having fun. They really know how to enjoy life. I'm not concerned with comparisons, however, its all good.

Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 02:05 PM

thank you navid. i like persian music alot. i have studied the persian radif (ok not all memorised). in the last years ive been studying azeri mugham.
all of them i play on oud. i like studying different styles, the more i learn the more i see the connections between asian modal systems (maqam, dastgah, raag etc.)

a comment on your maqam-dastgah comparison.
i would not compare arabic rast to bayati turk, bayati turk is parallel to arabic jiharka (chahargah). they both emphasize the third note of abu-ata/bayati.

i have not found a parallel to rast in persian music that gives the feeling of rast. the same with saba, but i think i found it through azeri mokhalef in chahargah but thats another story!)

bayati isfahan can sometimes sound like hijaz and sometimes like nahawand (and there is shushtari) and homayun can sometimes be similar to nikriz but i think it has a toatly different feeling. it is sometimes closer maybe to hicaz homayun, another turkish makam

anyway, keep with the good work i appreciate your passion!
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 11:11 PM

It's great to hear everybody's stories, and comments. I continuously learn from everybody here, it's fascinating.

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 10:27 PM

Hello everyone again,
I have another dose of Persian music for you all. This time we deal with Bayate Tork! I hope it is informative. Sound files are also included.

http://www.majnuunmusicanddance.com/bayat-e-tork-persian-music-cont...

Masel,
Thanks for you comments and shedding some light on the Bayate Tork-Jiharkah connection. I had forgotten that Jiharkah uses a quarter tone, you're right they are same!

Rast does share the same tetrachord though with Bayate Tork, but yes, they are fundamentally different. I would speculate that Rast used to be in the tradition but was lost, but I have no evidence to back it up except that we have some reference to it in the words "Rast-Panjgah". Rast is very close to the major scale, only a quarter diminished 3rd and 6th note. In the end, who knows.

In Persian music, I think you can create something of a connection to Rast through Afshari... if you start from the root of Afshari and use the modulation of Gushe-ye Iraq you can get a glimmer of it, but I think even this is a stretch, and I'm trying too hard to make a connection.

I would love to hear more about what you have gleaned from azeri mugham as well. I sometimes like to joke that the best Persian music is Azeri music. Some of their musicians are phenomenal.

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 10:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by majnuunNavid  
I sometimes like to joke that the best Persian music is Azeri music. Some of their musicians are phenomenal.

You've probably heard the tar player Bigjeh-Khani from Tabriz. Somehow his Persian music had Azeri color and his Azeri tunes came out Persian. I don't have the knowledge or vocabulary to say it right. A special musician, I think.
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 06:30 AM

ah afshari is the avaz i understand the least, waiting for your post on it!

what would you like to know about azeri mugham?
i can tell you one theory i have.

in azeri music mokhalef of chahargah (in DO) is played on LA, not LA koron as in persian music. you can hear it here in this lovely tesnif at 6:59 they start playing mokhalef
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5-QLb6_cs

the LA bekar gives a modulation to nava which is simply beautiful!
the raange of moxalef does not normally pass the third note above (DO), if it does you can continue with nava and play RE bekar or play RE koron/bemol as in chahargah (azeris use microtones but only in practice not so much in theory). so if you are playing nava on LA with RE bemol you get something very close to saba, which does not exist in persian/azeri music.

i think this is why the old ottoman makam cahargah is basically the same as saba.

anyway, that's one small story you might find interesting..
going back to baku in april to study mugham, i can't wait!
would love to go to iran as well but not reallyl possible for me...
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 10:37 AM

Hi Masel, I just saw your post, and Afshari is exactly what I'm going to post about right now.

Afshari is a real test for the ears. I would really like to know if this article helped you understand it a bit better.

http://www.majnuunmusicanddance.com/avaz-e-afshari-persian-music-co...

I will check out what you wrote about mugham soon.

Jody: Bigche-khani is one of my favorite tar soloists!

Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 02:01 PM

wow good post thank you and amazing music by iraj bastami (i know to play one tesnif he sings, also in afshari). and the chahar mezrab was so pretty and harmonious amazing.
i liked that you talkd about harmony (when you wrote the harmony in the Sol is with the lower Do), what other harmonic drones are normal to use in afshari? Mi koron?

your post helped me understand some things better. also i read again the part about afshari in hormoz farhat - the dastgah concept in persian music. good book!

i think i hear afshari a little differently now, kind of starting as shur/segah and touching nava in between. but harmonically, all the time really it is the middle part of rast (the arabic one).

araq i already know from mahur, and also there it is in Sol, the fifth note.

thanks again.
yaniv.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 2-21-2014 at 07:56 PM

This one kills me.. Shajarian and Lotfi in '75 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIs_Qgei2x0

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2014 at 10:25 PM

This one is a classic! Thanks for reminding me.

New article on Avaz-e Dashti.

http://www.majnuunmusicanddance.com/avaz-e-dashti-persian-music-con...

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-8-2014 at 04:25 PM

Another installment of the Persian music system posts. This time it's all in PODCAST form, so you can listen and follow along. The topic is Bayat-e Kord.

Let me know if you like the podcast version or the written version better.
Thanks!

http://www.majnuunmusicanddance.com/bayat-e-kord-persian-music-cont...

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 10:39 PM

It's Persian New Year, so happy Nowruz to everyone! :bounce::wavey:

I hope you are having a beautiful first few days of spring. In Vancouver, cherry blossoms are about 50% in bloom!

And there is another article about another Persian Dastgah called Segah. Name sounds familiar doesn't it? I hope you enjoy.

http://www.majnuunmusicanddance.com/dastgah-segah-persian-music/

Go To Top