Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: cherry wood for oud
stingerz
Oud Maniac

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 09:24 PM
cherry wood for oud

hey guys..i have a question? is cherry wood a good wood to be use for d bowl of the oud? it s a combination of cherry n walnut actually.

i need advise :)

thank you.
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 11:16 PM

This question would definitely be better answered by Oud makers. Still, I believe that a few years ago, I have seen such a oud at the workshop or house of luthier Wadih Ghaoui (Wadih Ghawi). Or maybe he has just mentioned a oud he once has made...

Instantly imagined a tasty yummy Oud.

stingerz
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 11:19 PM

I can t imagine a oud that s edible .any luthiers ard?:)
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stingerz  
hey guys..i have a question? is cherry wood a good wood to be use for d bowl of the oud? it s a combination of cherry n walnut actually.

i need advise :)

thank you.

Hi stingerz

I made an Oud of pure cherry wood and one mixed with mahogany. The pure cherry Oud was an syrian style Oud custom made with a lot of fine details... please have a look on my site to see how it looks. This Oud was sounding great, very warm (very good strings Aquila classic arabic medium tension) in the basses and clear in the trebles. The sound is comparable with pure walnut. Cherry isn´t as hard as it seems, it could be bent easily and holds it´s curve if bent dry after wet-bending.

The Oud mixed with mahogany was sounding very arabic / egyptian.. but this Oud had thinner ribs... Note : You have to take thicker ribs making an Oud of pure cherry.... mixed with other wood you have to make the ribs a bit thinner... depending on how much ribs you want to make.

Cherry gives a warm sound and many sustain, to work with this wood is easy and doesn´t force the tools if they are sharp.

The wood isn´t as heavy as one could think. Mixing with harder woods is better than with softer species. Mix with maple is a good combi, and also with walnut or mahogany. The hardness of cherry and walnut is comparable. A mix with maple brings out a strong Oud with much presence on stage, picked up with a condensor-mic or two. Mixed with walnut it becomes a very arabic sounding one. Mixing with mahogany makes a fine Oud with much good features, universal use I would like to name it :-)

Try to build one, and you for your own will see, if it matches your meaning of good sound and good looking.

Regards

Fritz

http://www.oud-werkstatt.de

Music is the food for the soul
stingerz
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 10:39 PM

Hi Fritz,

Thank you so much for the information. it is very useful. unfortunately i cant read german :( btw all yr ouds look great!
i bet the sound is awesome as well..do u have any youtube videos?:)
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stingerz  
Hi Fritz,

Thank you so much for the information. it is very useful. unfortunately i cant read german :( btw all yr ouds look great!
i bet the sound is awesome as well..do u have any youtube videos?:)

Hi stingerz

Yes... I have to translate the text in my site to english... I know...

But I have to take a native english guy to do it correctly for any english-speaking visitor of this forum. I do not want to make it on my own... perhaps I don´t find the right words in special cases.

I haven´t got any YouTube-vids... perhaps in the future I´ll make some :) if I think there is a need for.

My next two Ouds are almost ready built, next time there will be a new posting with new pics of the completed instruments :-) Ofcourse on my site, too...

Kind regards

Fritz

Music is the food for the soul

Go To Top