Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking at Iraqi style oud on ebay, thoughts?
rc3spencer
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 08:48 PM
Looking at Iraqi style oud on ebay, thoughts?

Hi all, I'm considering buying my first oud, and am very interested in the floating bridge 7 course sound of Khyam Allami, or Munir Bashir, etc.

I saw this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-7-course-Oud-13-strings-with-p...

any thoughts? warnings? recommendations?

thanks,
Ron
epokhe
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 11:08 PM

Hi Ron,

I wouldn't buy this oud. First, there's no indication of who made it: if you had the name of a luthier, at least you could familiarize yourself with their work, read reviews, etc. Second, the soundboard (or "face") looks curious to me: I don't know if it's the type of wood being used (really spruce?) or if it's the grain...maybe someone with better eyes can say more.

In any case, you should read the forums for all the useful tips and guidelines provided on first-time buying, there's a lot of great information here.

Good luck!
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 12:11 AM

The safest bet would be to take epokhe's advice. That being said, this oud appears to be a no-name, generic factory built oud, which carries no guarantee of being playable from the day you buy it. Be aware that you may need to put some extra work into it before it is comfortable to play. The seller seems to be reputable more or less. But I think this Oud is a bit overpriced regardless. If this was a Sukar Oud, (syrian builder) I would say go for it. If you are willing to spend that kind of money, maybe you should save up a bit more and find something built by either Michael Moussa in the UK, or even Godin MultiOud. It will get you farther in the long run.

On the plus side, it does appear that the pegs on this oud are higher quality than the pegs on the sellers other ouds. And it LOOKS better than the other Ouds that he is selling. The finish on the back looks decent too.

It is the initial setup of this oud to make it playable is what can be worrisome.

I personally, would really insist on playing any floating bridge oud before purchasing one.

Good luck! :applause:

rc3spencer
Oud Admirer

thumbup.gif posted on 12-17-2013 at 08:13 AM

thanks all!

Go To Top