Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: frozen pegs
jimbo1970
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-27-2013 at 08:46 PM
frozen pegs

Hi all,

I got my oud a few weeks ago. It is a Turkish oud and coming to the nice ultra humid climate that is Taiwan, the tuning pegs have frozen. I have found a work around of sorts where I place the oud in front of a heater for about 10 minutes. This is a temporary fix as after a few hours, the humidity causes them to swell up again. I am afraid of removing the pegs as I fear they will get swollen and never go back in their place.
There is a lack of oud luthiers, or luthiers of any kind here, so is there a DIY project that more or less permanently cures the problem?

Thank you so much!!
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-27-2013 at 08:54 PM

Hill's Peg Compound will probably help. Ask local violinists and cellists what they do for instruments whose pegs and peg holes were not made in Taiwan.
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 09:28 AM

Jimbo,

If Hill's is not available, plain talcum powder is a good substitute; at least Viken Najarian thinks so. In either case, only a little is necessary.

BTW, assuming your pegs are ebony or one of the other super-hard peg woods, the swelling is happening mostly in the wood of the headstock. If this wood swells enough against the harder peg, it can split, leaving you with one or more untuneable strings, and needing real work by a real luthier.

my 2 cents.

-Stephen
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 10:10 AM

Jimbo, here is what I suggest you do first:

loosen the pegs as you describe (be careful, though, as heat can also loosen the glue that holds the oud together), and pull the pegs halfway out of the holes. No need to remove the strings. Then leave it for several hours until they go (or as mentioned by Stephen, more likely the pegbox goes) back to "normal".

Then push them back in and tune the oud back up. The swelling I suspect is not so severe that the pegs will no longer fit at all, they just shouldn't be as far in as they were in the drier climate where the oud was made. If they don't fit, a peghole reamer can widen the holes slightly, but I doubt this will be necessary.

As Stephen says, the bigger concern is that the headstock may split if you leave them pushed far in as they are now.

A little peg compound is not going to hurt, either, but I think the above steps will for the most part "re-set" your oud to the new climate.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 04:19 PM

First DO NOT HEAT the oud for any reason as you are risking damage to other parts. If a peg is frozen, it usually can be loosened by pushing on the small end or in extreme cases, tapping the small end lightly with a small hammer.

Talcum powder will only help pegs that slip, not ones that are sticking. Peg dope is best, but sticky pegs can be treated by rubbing the shaft where it contacts the peg box wall a small amount of dry soap or graphite from a pencil. The peg will have to be removed in order to get the peg dope, talcum, soap or graphite on the areas where the peg is in contact with the wall. It will be easiest to take all the strings off, (noting the sequence for re-stringing) but leave the pegs in the holes while treating each peg. Each peg must go into the hole it came from or there can be a misfit and no amount of dope can fix that.

Another cause of sticking pegs is if the string is bunched up against the wall inside the peg box. Guide each string onto the peg so that the string does not jam against either side and does not cross over other strings either.

DO NOT try to ream the holes, this is an operation for an expert luthier with peg fitting experience. A violin repair technician can help with this, but it should not be necessary.

After treatment, replace the strings in the same sequence, starting with the string that was first in the peg box. The pegs should be loose as you tune the string up to pitch, and pushed in as the string reaches pitch to hold the string in tune.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 08:06 AM

I assumed that since it is wintertime he just meant that he was warming the oud up to normal room temperatures. You're right of course to clarify that he should not particularly heat the oud—rereading his post it does seem like that could be what he is doing.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top