Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: my new faruk turunz reduced price oud!!
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 02:06 PM
my new faruk turunz reduced price oud!!

Hello lads!
Several weeks ago I received my new FARUK TURUNZ reduced price ARABIC oud and I want to share with you my impressions about it. I don't want to start again a thread about the difference between turkish and arabic ouds, but I have to say that in the beginning it sounded extremely bright and the DUKAH string (D, the third) was buzzing quite a lot. Fortunately, I changed the strings and I put a LABELLA set few days ago and now it sounds great; most important thing, the D strings now it's ok: it does buzz, but very little.
For istance, the oud is extremely beautiful, very very well made, perfect in all the details\ Design is gougeous.
The best feature is the pegbox: the oud is easier to tune than a guitar and it keeps the tuning very well; I had never seen a pegbox like this!
Action is very comfortable and the oud sounds well in every position.
It doesn't really look and sound like a "reduced price" oud.
To my personal taste it's a little bit too bright and it doesn't have a great "pounch", but I have to say that it's brand new and it sound every day better and better.
The only negative thing about it is that it was supposed to cost around 770 euro, but at the end I paid much much more. Western union commision was almost 100 euro\ moreover, DHL wanted it to be shipped with an hard case (very good one anyway) that costed 200 euro more. Then I had to add exepition fees (around 200 euro), and at the end I had to pay 250 euro for customs taxes! More or less it costed 1500 euro!! It would have been much better if I went to Istanbul to pick it up myself! In conlusion, the oud is just perfect in every detail\ it' s quiet bright in the first 2 strings (they almost sound like metal strings) but this is just a matter of taste, and I have to say that one needs time to understand the proper way to play a particular instrument and get used to it. A part from the extra money you have to pay to get it (more or less as much as the oud's price), I find incredible that you can have such an oud with less than 800 euro! And for the last time I repeat waht I said before about the pegbox: it's just incredible!! pegs move very softly but they never move: I think it's the only oud that it's ready to play few minutes after you just changed the strings :) Sorry for my long post, but I think it might intrest you. Have a wonderful new year!
hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 04:01 PM

Congrats on your new oud! The Turunz shop is really making fanastic instruments, i agree 100% that the craftsmanship is unmatched. I have a grand concert arabic oud and i agree with you that it still sounds a little "bright" but still a very excellent sound. I tune down one half step or lower to compensate for this to make it sound traditional arabic, so instead of C i tune to Bb.
PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 09:33 PM
Farouk Turunz

I also have a reduced price Turunz. I picked it up during a 10 hour layover in Istanbul in September--which added to the excitement and saved quite a bit of money. I paid 1000 US plus 200 for a case.
I can only say that it is an exquisite instrument and I feel very privileged as a beginner to be playing it.
I ordered a Turkish turning but now, since I am studying here in Abu Dhabi with Sherine Tohamy I have tuned it down to Arabic (without a high F) and there is no buzz. The strings are still bright but now quite as bright as before. I agree, it never goes out of tune! it is really amazing.
I am a bit out of place here with everyone playing there floating bridge instruments but it seems that everyone is very interested in the different and unique sound mine makes.
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 12:21 AM

Appreciate seeing pics (especially of the pegbox) + a video or a soundfile.
Usually, this type of arabic ouds still sound very turkish, maybe because no links of these arabic ouds played arabic style were found. That's why it would be a good idea to make a video of it, with a typical "arabic" playing.
Enjoy your new instrument!

PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 03:37 AM
pictures

here are some pics...soundfile will have to wait
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 05:46 AM

Thats a wonderfull instrument for the price.
I remeber Faruk posted a video of the way he reeems the holes for the pegs which is basicaly a electric reamer tool that turns in a very slow controled motion. must be why the pegs are fited with great precision.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 03:54 PM

Hi guys,
here are short clips of my oud tuned down to around B flat with Aquila copper strings, let me know what you think of the sound. This is an iphone recording so the bass doesn't come through as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNtHtNyVYr0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXIpGxnzlM
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 03:02 PM

Sounds great Hamed!
Nice playing

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Ismahairie
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-6-2014 at 06:59 AM

Thats a nice oud! :)