Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Luthier Peter Kyvelos
hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 04:27 PM
Luthier Peter Kyvelos

Hey guys check out this video featuring Peter Kyvelos of Boston.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU30YgD-8kA
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 03:42 PM

Very exciting and enlightening. I liked the dove tail stuff because I shall be writing soon about this tail, so stay tuned.
Thanks Hamed for drawing our attention to this Luthier, who absolutely deserves a visit very soon.
What do you think about asking him to join in ?

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
hamed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 06:02 PM

I think he might be a member of the forum, there are numerous posts about his ouds which are held in very high regard.
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hamed  
I think he might be a member of the forum

Yes indeed, with one post in memory of Al Gardner from 2006 ! He might have found it very boring to leave the forum after one single post :)
If somebody knows the oldman, please re-invite him.

Yours indeed,
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 01:38 PM

Peter is not fond of the internet or technology like this. Good luck with that!

hamed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 03:52 PM

In regards to the dovetail system mentioned in the video, I'd like to ask a question of the oud builders on this forum:

Do you think the dovetail system is more beneficial? I remember Bulerias81 saying that the dowel method is preferrable because it's easier to repair.

I've owned two turkish ouds and on both the action never seemed to rise, so maybe the dovetail system is superior? Is there any particular reason why so many arabic builders are still using the dowel method?
I'm interested in hearing your opinions.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 04:53 PM

Hi Hamed,
This is my opinion, I believe true that the dovetail has some mechanical advantages as mentioned in the video. But to be quite honest it requires a lot of skill to properly execute with hand tools. Also, I find the dowel of today is rather different than the ones used is very early arabic ouds. we have access to exact matching dowel rods to forstener bits. In my personal experience I would consider the dowel neck joint I have made of my most recent oud the strongest of the neck joints I have made even to compared to my dovetail necks because they were not as flawless and because my dowel runs down just short of half the length of the neck. There are also other techniques such as screws that can be used in combination to a dowel that make it even stronger. That being said, with router tables and other precision power tools able to produce those dovetail joints flawlessly I think it could be the way to go. Faruk Turunz uses a kind of dovetail insert joint that is very cutting edge and it comes out right every time because its made with powertools that are precisely adjusted.

not all arabic makers are using the dowel anymore, Shehata uses dovetails I can attest to that. I am aware of other makers who dont use a joint at all... the neck and neck block are a continuous piece of wood. thats also interesting. I have known makers to experience with carbon fiber inserts to stiffen the neck too. There are so many options and in the end I think they all have some advantage and they are all acceptable if properly executed.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 08:10 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed the clip. It is fascinating to see a master at work. Thanks for sharing. Too bad I am in Chicago.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 12:18 PM

I agree with Samir,

I think the dowel method is great of its done right, also the dowel method is much more repairable if there's an issue compared to dovetail. A nice trick is to use a fingerboard thick enough at the nut so when or if it comes up, it can be planed a bit instead of having to reset the neck!!

hamed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 03:51 PM

I see guys, thanks for the info.
morereverb
Oud Lover

Mood: Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 05:29 PM
Peter Kyvelos

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
Peter is not fond of the internet or technology like this. Good luck with that!

sorry to chime in late on this, I don't claim to speak for Peter in anyway, but I agree with John here 100%. you are more likely to
see an albino unicorn than see Mr. Kyvelos posting here. I have lived close to his shop for over 20 years, and I don't know much, but I do know he does not really like the internet or technology……he's an incredibly knowledgeable luthier, and musician, very old school, do it by hand…….there are absolutely no computers in his shop……..but if you are ever in the Boston Ma area, stop by and visit, he has an incredible wealth of information, and usually some nice second hand ouds for sale.
lloyd Thayer
Concord Ma usa

Go To Top