Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cheap oud?
turya
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 01:24 AM
Cheap oud?

Hi everyone

I acquired an oud recently about which I know nothing, other than it is from Damascus and about 7 years old. Photos are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75013103@N03/sets/72157639207129474/

I am no oud expert, and I would like to know a little bit about this instrument - for example, what wood it is made from, whether it is hand or factory made, and what its approximate value is. I'm guessing from its simplicity that it is a cheap oud but would be nice to stand corrected!

Would really appreciate any help.

Turya
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 08:18 AM

While it is a simple design, I would nat consider it cheap, rather that you have a fine handmade oud. The back and neck appear to be quarter sawn walnut, matched from the same log and well fitted. The soundboard is 4 pieces of good quality tonewood, probably spruce or possibly cedar. It's difficult to identify the soundboard wood without smelling it. Cedar has a characteristic odor different from spruce and there are many varieties of spruce as well. The value depends a great deal on the tone and playability, so when you get strings on it have an experienced oudist play it for an evaluation.

hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 08:30 AM

The sticker says:
Manufactured 1/1/2006
Brand: AlKibbeh
The number next to it is a cell phone number.
Made especially to be sold in a shop called the center of art world or something like that.

Looks beautiful though. I would second Dr. Oud that it is not necessarily cheap.
turya
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 04:38 PM

Thanks for your well-considered advice! In which case, I'll get it restrung and tried out when I'm next in London. And then figure out if I want to sell it or learn to play it... it is THE most humanly emotive stringed instrument along with kamancheh IMO. Love it. Stoked I've found a decent one!

Thanks for all your help :D

Go To Top