Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: flamenco
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 09:32 AM
flamenco

do recordings exist of flamenco played on oud?

as a folk medium, does anyone know how far back does the music goes?

are there oud related examples of it (oud tunings, recognizable north african melodies, "licks", etc.)?

just curious - bill
dom
Oud Admirer

Mood: relaxed

light.gif posted on 12-15-2004 at 07:19 PM
flamenco

Well, I reckon there's a discernibly clear element of siguiriya/rondeƱa in a Farid el Atrache melody or two. A conscious borrowing, but ultimately flamenco is derived from vihuela from laud=al'ud= oud. I have heard flamenco which resembles 'ud, played with a differential tuning on a 6th string! This is rare, though.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-16-2004 at 02:43 PM

Hi Dom,

Did you send me an email yesterday? I think I might have deleted it by mistake. Please send it again if you did.

Thanks,
Mike

jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 05:06 AM
Omar Bashir

There is a very interesting record by Omar Bashir named Flamenco nights. It's more spanish music than flamenco, but it's the best fussion I never heard of guitar and ud.

It can be downdoad at http://forum.mazajy.com/index.php?
elrabee3
Oud Junkie

Mood: in LOVE

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 06:33 AM

guys, dont forget Abadi's flamenco, and Farid Ghosn.

Jaber
elrabee3@gmail.com
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-21-2004 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by billkilpatrick
>do recordings exist of flamenco played >on oud?

If you are thinking about Spanish flamenco, then I don't think so. You can find several compositions by Bashir like Al Hamra in makam Hijaz Karkurd, which is a
maqam that is used by flamenco guitarists. The traditional Arabic/Andalusian music is without quartertones and the oud played there, the Kuitra has semi tone frets.

>are there oud related examples of it >(oud tunings, recognizable north african >melodies, "licks", etc.)?

The Kuitra has only 4 courses and tuned in quarters. The Iraqi tuning c d g c f f is very suitable for flamenco and just listen to some of Bashir compositions when he incorporates flamenco technique.

Best wishes

Ronny
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 12:37 PM
Sol Y Luna - "Flamenco, Salsa, Rumba"

Hi Bill,

Back in the late 1980s, a San Francisco (CA)-based group called Sol Y Luna (they were the "house band" at an SF club of the same name) recorded a CD. Their style was flamenco/Latin American fusion.

Their guitarist, Donald Fontowitz, played some oud on at least 1 song on that CD. This page on Amazon.com has samples 30-sceond samples of all songs on that CD: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000020SG/qid=110504...

I think the song with oud is "Buleria"; the oud part is a solo later in the song. The bad news is that the recording engineer didn't aparently know how to record an oud, so the sound quality is really crappy and tinny. Donald is recognized as an accomplished flamenco guitarist, and oud has been a sideline for him.

If you want to hear the song and/or CD, I have no problem with burning and mailing you a copy, since the CD is way, way out of print.

Interesting postscript : I met Donald Fontowitz at a party in early 2002. He had stopped playing flamenco guitar because of RSI in his right hand. He had actually started playing his oud again for the first time in years, so we jammed at that party. :airguitar:

Best,
John
umut
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-12-2005 at 12:02 PM
from tasavvuf to flamenco

It wasn't exactly flamenco but in one of the projects of ney player Kudsi Erguner, (entitled Tasavvuftan Flamenkoya -From Sufi Music to Flamenco) Mehmet Emin Bitmez, a Turkish oud player plays flamenco tunes.
It's a good fusion of sufi tunes with flamenco chords and movements and singing.

I don't know whether the album is sold outside of Turkey though,

regards,

umut

Go To Top