Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about oud stores
kathyviola
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 07:21 AM
Question about oud stores

Hello!

I'm getting an inexpensive oud to begin on. What do people think of this site?

http://www.mid-east.com/Oud

While I'm a classically trained violist, the oud is a new thing for me. I don't need something amazing, but simply reliable.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Kathy
hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 08:05 AM

I would stay away from the cheap ouds (< $400). Do you know if you want the Arabic style or Turkish? .
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 09:03 AM

Based on one very disappointing experience with EBay (I bid $2,000.00), I would never buy an oud that I haven't seen up close and played myself. That being said, I think the cheapest decent instruments around have been about $600 from Sukkar in Syria (I believe his workshop has been recently destroyed in the civil war). I don't know what a decent low-end Turkish ud costs these days. I bought my Eken in Istanbul in 1998. It was (well) used, and it took about 2 hours to bargain the seller (a rug store owner who played ud and had a few to sell) from $750 to $550.

I strongly prefer the sound of Arabic ouds over Turkish uds, but the average craftsmanship is better among the Turkish-made instruments.

I advise waiting and saving money until you can afford a decent instrument. You don't want to buy a piece of junk that will be frustrating to try to tune and play.

Good luck!
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 09:09 AM

you can buy a professional Iraqi Oud from Leith or Fares Jehad for $700. Shipping to be added.

The Oud is my life, n my life is the Oud
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 09:35 AM

Sandi ouds tend to be pretty reliable and consistent in quality, and you can get a very well-priced one easily on ebay these days:

Sandi Ouds on Ebay

There's never a guarantee with anything you buy, but these guys are pretty consistent.

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
kathyviola
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 11:26 AM

Excellent advice! Thank you all for replying. I'm most interested in the Arabic oud's, as I want a richer tone. The site I referenced was recommended to me by another Arabic musician who knows I'm a beginner. But all of your recommendations will come in handy and be used.

Playing the oud is a life long dream for me, having grown up in the 70's in a Lebanese community, and there being live Arabic bands come to play for our hafli's.

It has been enjoyable to hear how people acquire their instruments. In the classical world, the process to purchase such things is always an adventure. I am excited for this process to unfold. And hope that learning the oud is not horribly difficult.

More advice is always welcome. Thanks again.

Happy New Year, and Warm Wishes,
hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 12:19 PM

Sandi makes Arabic ouds now. I ordered one from Turkey that hopefully should show up in a week or two for $400 and I picked up another Ultra pro Sandi used for $1000 from Amazon. We'll see which plays better.

I am looking forward to try this instrument after 30 years of playing the guitar. The sound is intoxicating. Funny thing it took a clip from Arabs Got Talent show when Jennifer Grout played and sang Baeed Annak to get me back to my roots.

My uncle in Lebanon was trying to teach me to play one 40 years ago. I guess I liked destroying the rosettes when I was young. He still has them. I'll see if he "donates" one if I ever get to visit :D
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 12:21 PM

I wouldn't go near any of those ouds with a 10 foot pole. Sometimes mideast carries Sandi ouds, which someone mentioned above. For you, I'd recommend either Sandi if you lean Turkish, or Sukkar if you learn Arabic.. Sandi ouds can pull off both.

kathyviola
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 04:46 PM

Hussamd- I hope you score one of your Uncle's ouds. It sounds like you've changed a lot since that whole rosette destruction incident.

And thank you, along with bulerias, for the tips on makers.

Go To Top