Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Student looking for Lebanese/Syrian oud
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 10:10 AM
Student looking for Lebanese/Syrian oud

Hi,

I have a student that is looking for a nice intermediate oud in the Lebanese or Syrian style. If anyone has anything or has any suggestions, please let me know. We're trying to avoid overseas shipping if possible.

Thanks. :)

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 01:34 PM
Arabic Oud

I'm not sure if there anything particularly distinctive about Lebanese or Syrian ouds relative to other arabic styles. I have a rather nice Shehata for sale - it has a 61 cm scale length and a very deep mellow tone... I considering offers and I'll ship anywhere in the US for no extra charge.:airguitar:

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 02:46 PM

Hey Lee,

Yeah, I know you have a great Shehata, I've played it and helped pick it out in Cairo. I would really like to help here, but the thing is my friend is looking for something specific. I personally have doubts we will find something like that without having to order from abroad, but we'll see.

Sorry I couldn't help you Lee.

Take care,

mav

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 07:45 PM

What about buying one of najeeb shaheens remade khalife ouds or ewven getting a khalife and have him redo it to tase. Might be a bit pricy but from what I understand you will get a quality oud.

His address is oudman.com i beleive.

I actually wouldnt mind finding something similar. I saw an Ali khalife oud at a local repair shop and he was asking $400, which i thought was a bit much.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 10:49 PM

I have a 1979 Azur al-Kibeh, recently refurbished and adjusted. The price includes a hard shell case.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 08:33 AM

Hi,

So you know, I won't be responding to all posts, but my friend knows of this thread and will be checking it and contacting you all for information.

Thanks for all the responses.

Take care,

mav

--Edgard Varèse
mawoud
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-18-2004 at 10:02 PM
Thanks for all you guys

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your replies to my friend Mav and special thanks to him as well.
I was actually looking for a oud. As of some of you who know me, I used to get ouds from Lebanon and sell them but latelly I haven't go and I finally decided to switch from oud seller to, hopefully, a oud player. I decided I wanted to learn how to play this great instrument and I asked my friend Mavrothis if he can teach me and he was kind enough to agree. the only problem is that I was out of ouds and I didn't want to spend so much money for a oud especially because I know for sure that soon i will be going to Lebanon and will pick my own oud,most likely a Nahat one ;)
While my friend Mav and I were searching for a oud for me to start the lesson one very dear friend of mine who is even a Mikeoud fan was so generous to offer me to borrow one of his oud for the time being till i get my own oud in Lebanon.
Therefore I can say I'm all set for now and can't wait to have the oud shipped to me and start my lessons soon.
Thanks for all of you and special thanks to Mav and my special friend who i'm not saying his name as a respect for his privacy.
Happy Holiday to all :xtreme:

Go To Top