Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hi Folks
RobMacKillop
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 02:07 PM
Hi Folks

I've been here before, a few years back, and have to admit to having had moments when I decided I wanted to spend years studying oud or Turkish tanbur, but then life intervenes, and other avenues open up.

Well here I am again. For those who don't know me (the vast majority I imagine!) here is a quick overview of the relevant bits:

I'm Scottish, living in Edinburgh. Played the lute for years, guitars, etc, and got a scholarship to go somewhere and study the music associated with the place. I decided to study Turkish Classical music, which I knew nothing about, and was lucky enough to have a few lessons with Necati Celik, and listen a number of times to the state Turkish classical orchestra rehearse. I also got an oud from The Boss, Faruk Turunz. That was in 2001.

Life took a sharp left turn very shortly after that, and I sold my oud, and did other things. Then some years later I had a Turkish tanbur from Cankaya, and although I loved it, I just couldn't get the right hand to work - so it went. I could have given the technique more of a chance, but I really missed having other musicians around me who were into the same thing. In retrospect, I gave up too soon.

It's hard to imagine that even just five years ago there was very little help on the internet or anywhere else. Now players are giving Skype lessons, and there is more literature and recordings to be had, and videos to watch. Incredible.

And just last week a fellow musician in Edinburgh asked me if I wanted to form a small ensemble to explore Turkish classical music. He already plays the oud, so we were thinking I should get a tanbur again. But I'm torn between the tanbur and the oud. I love the sound of both. Well, I'll let you know when I decide. I'm doing a lot of listening, and love both equally.

I contacted Mavrothi Kontanis, who has been very encouraging. I bought his School of Oud, which gives me a lot more insight into makams than I ever had before.

Finances are short, so the tanbur would be one of these two links:

Sandi-Cankaya

or the juniper version from this workshop, which is 750 euros

Klasik Musicevi

Or if an oud:

Sandi

or if I go out on a limb, the first of these:

Emir

I know you all say Sandi-Cankaya instruments are generally reliable, but I don't know anything about the other makers. Any info gratefully received. Neither Emir or Cankaya have responded to my emails.

That's it.
Rob

David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 02:28 PM

Hi Rob

Great to see you back on the forum and into oud again! Have you considered a Faruk Turunz "Reduced Price Point Oud"? They are only $1000 (+shipping) and there are plenty of glowing reports on these instruments.

http://www.oudmaster.com/reduced-price.php

Best wishes

David

RobMacKillop
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 02:59 PM

Hi David. Good to see you are still here. Thanks for the link. Might be a possibility!

Go To Top