Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flat Sawn Neck Reset Wedges
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 12:03 PM
Flat Sawn Neck Reset Wedges

Hi,

I'm going to have a lifetime (hopefully) supply of neck reset wedges made for me by a local woodworker who has the appropriate equipment. I'll have so many made that I'll be happy to part with some for the cost of shipping alone. I'm thinking of having them made flat sawn (i.e. the strongest orientation that can be tapped in without shattering) and preferably of rosewood - though have some mahogany ones would make sense too. My first guess on dimensions is 2mm wide down to 0.2mm (or as thin as the guy can get it and 20mm tall. This would seem to provide a pretty good basis for further trimming to get different amounts of neck push-down.

If you have any experience making these wedges (especially best sizes) and could share it, I'd be most appreciative. Also if you'd be interested in taking some of the resultant material (I'll probable have several feet made as the guy has a minimum charge) drop me a U2U.

Cheers,

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 04:22 PM

how are you using these?

freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 06:17 PM

On inexpensive ouds with unplayably high action, where the expense of a full neck removal can not be justified, I saw (typ. 0.5mm kerf) part way through the joint where the neck meets the body, fill it with hot hide glue and tap in the wedge until the neck angle is acceptable based on a string height gauge I made for this purpose. A scary sharp chisel to shave off any protrusion. I think I first came across this method from hearing Kyvelos talk about it, but I've come across several other ouds where this manner of repair was done by unknown repair people. I've done it on 6 or so instruments myself with satisfactory results - only for instruments of limited value whose alternative fate would be the dumpster.

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 08:07 PM

I've seen this done many times but it is usually a temporary fix, and iy compromises the neck/body joint so it sometimes fails and needs the neck removed and re-set anyway for a more stable repair.

Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 1-24-2014 at 03:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by freya  
fill it with hot hide glue and tap in the wedge
Or maybe fill it with super glue gel without a wooden wedge ?
The super glue would dry and become a built-in wedge !
Could be ? What do you think doc. ?

Yours indeed,
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2014 at 05:22 AM

Super glue is a very poor gap filling adhesive, and not very good for wood as well. It also makes repair much more difficult as it must be completely removed to re-glue. The neck joint is a weak link in traditional oud design, and requires re-setting of the angle due to the effect of the string tension on the body. Over years, the body will bend, and the neck is re-set to compensate. The strongest joint is a well fitted butt joint bonded with hot hide glue.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-24-2014 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  
I've seen this done many times but it is usually a temporary fix, and iy compromises the neck/body joint so it sometimes fails and needs the neck removed and re-set anyway for a more stable repair.

I've seen numerous ouds repaired this way where this "temporary" fix lasted 2-3 times longer than the original neck joint. If you can add 10-15 years to the life of an inexpensive oud that would otherwise hang on a wall or go in the trash, it's a rather useful trick.

It's not ideal, but there are a lot of people who are surprisingly not interested in doing a $500 repair on a $150 oud.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top