Printable Version  
Author: Subject: armenian music / music sheets
Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 03:41 AM
armenian music / music sheets

Hi everyone,
Does anybody have some music sheets of armenian songs, maybe in a transcription for oud that he could share with me? John Erlich, do you have?
(For example, I like specially the songs on the cd's of Onnik Dinkjian and Alan Shavarsh Bardezbanian's Middle Eastern Ensemble.)
Thanks and have a nice sunday all together, and play your ouds... :airguitar:
Alexander
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 08:04 AM

Hi Alexander,
The late Alan Shavarsh Bardezbanian was my teacher and dear friend. I can look into getting you a copy of the song book of his tunes that was published after his passing if that would interest you. As far as other Armenian music on the CD that you have, are there any particular tunes that you are interested in? I'll see what I have for you. Also, we have released two posthumous albums of primarily Armenian/Anatolian music of the late master and his group. U2U me if you want.
Best wishes,
Amos

Our music is like an ocean...
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 12:31 PM

Hello Amos

Where can I get those Alan Shavarsh Bardezbanian albums, I have the first one but would love to hear the others.

Cheers

Leon
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2014 at 07:20 PM

Hey Amos, did you transcribe that stuff yourself? Because God knows theres no sheet music for "kef songs".....the armenians all play by ear anyway

sometimes there is sheet music if its a turkish song or if it was known in the former soviet armenia.

wait I just remembered. ohannes has transcribed some armenian songs for oud and put them online.

http://armenianoud.com/armenian_music.html

but this didn't exist until maybe a year ago. most of these songs don't exist in published sheet music.

note "bardezum" the first song on the list is performed by onnik dinkjian on the live in jerusalem album

i noticed in the lyrics transcription it has "siroohis oor e kuoom" which should be "oor e kunoom" (actually onnik and most of them sing "oor es kunoom") (where is she going vs. where are you going) actually onnik sings with many other variations from the printed text as well.
Doc139
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 04:48 AM

Thank you, Hartun, this link is already great to have!
Amos: I would be interested a lot to get more stuff of your teacher A.S.Bardezbanian - I wrote you an U2U a few days ago.
Alexander
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 07:13 AM

Hi everyone,
For anyone interested in getting copies of the Udi Alan Shavarsh Bardezbanian's 2 posthumously released CD's as well as his songbook please email Eric LaPerna at: hilohifi@yahoo.com. Eric, my musical partner for close to 20 years, is the percussionist and nay player in my group and was Udi Al's percussionist and dear friend for many years. He has let me know that he would be happy to connect anyone and everyone with Al's music and song book.

Our music is like an ocean...
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 09:19 AM

I am also reposting my take on "Siroon Akhcheek" (or however you transliterate it!). I am primarily an Arabic-style player. The recorded versions I have sound more in the Bayati/Husseini range.

Peace out,
"Udi John"
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 09:26 AM

I am also posting some "Armenian folk song sheets" I found on the internet. I don't think I've ever tried to play any of these, so I can't vouch whether they are masterpieces or not.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 09:30 AM

And here is that Armenian laz bar we all know and love, with lyrics.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 11:10 AM

I am posting another music sheet. Not least because after listening to some lame renditions on YouTube, I know some of you out there could--and will--do a better, hipper one.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  
I am posting another music sheet. Not least because after listening to some lame renditions on YouTube, I know some of you out there could--and will--do a better, hipper one.

OK. Just found one non-lame rendition on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Klfq1gvdQ
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 12:11 PM

thanks Hartun for the Armenian links, always good to have some music from other cultures. And thanks to you John, I've been following your music scores for years now and like others appreciate every one you put up here. :)
Doc139
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 01:10 PM

Thanks John, I knew you would deliver us some music sheets out of your collection, thanks you my friend!
Alexander (Erlach)
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 09:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doc139  
Thanks John, I knew you would deliver us some music sheets out of your collection, thanks you my friend!
Alexander (Erlach)

Except for the few songs I've transcribed myself, I can't take much credit for the Arabic, Turkish, Armenian, Persian, etc. song sheets in my collection. Someone else was generous enough to share them, so why shouldn't I? Also, it's always important to keep one's doppelgänger happy!

Peace out,
"Udi" John
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-31-2014 at 10:07 PM

This is an old thread, but I just found this moderately interesting collection of Armenian folks songs, with sound clips: http://www.houshamadyan.org/arm/mapottomanempire/vilayetdiyarbekir/...

-JE
Doc139
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 10:41 AM

Thanks John,
I will have a look at it... that would be an occasion to study the armenian alphabet ... hihihi.
Alexander
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 05:35 AM

Unfortunately there are some major mistakes in those "Houshamadyan" song sheets; ie laz bar written in 3/4 when the recording he was working from us clearly in 7/8 although poorly executed rhythmwise by an elderly lady with no musical accompaniment. Here is a much more interesting page for oud enthusiasts unfortunately with no music sheets http://www.houshamadyan.org/en/themes/musicgallery.html

There is also a music gallery II.

On here you can find many pieces gleaned from around the Internet and the album "to what strange place". As you can see I have accessed the English language portion of the website which was done by pressing a link in the too left hand corner
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 05:37 AM

Also John Bilezikjian and Tom
Bozigian are currently working on a book of sheet music for Armenian folk songs; I don't know the timeline as when that is to come out.
yavaran
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 12:43 AM

If you do some googling you will find a good deal of stuff! For example: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&sour... (Arakelian%2C_Grigor)&ei=RSYIVNGrK6HCigKL3oCQAw&usg=AFQjCNHQOR5FADEdyaVv5izUtCE_WLdQAQ&sig2=0IvjyZ-id_SA8qcxD0pn4w&bvm=bv.74649129,d. cGU
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by yavaran  
If you do some googling you will find a good deal of stuff! For example: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&sour... (Arakelian%2C_Grigor)&ei=RSYIVNGrK6HCigKL3oCQAw&usg=AFQjCNHQOR5FADEdyaVv5izUtCE_WLdQAQ&sig2=0IvjyZ-id_SA8qcxD0pn4w&bvm=bv.74649129,d. cGU

Greetings, Yaravan! Yes, I did find those. Simple is not always bad, but many of those 104 songs don't look very "zippy." I have attached a sample.

[file]32497[/file]
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 08:05 AM

Wow I had not seen that collection.

Then i googled "armenian folk songs sheet music" and its the first thing that came up.

I had never done that google search before since I learn everything by ear.

Some good stuff in there. John, the example you gave is actually a children's song. That explains its lack of zippiness. Unfortunately if you don't know Armenian, and even if you do, there is no organization in this collection to tell you what genre each song is supposed to be. I saw a lot of other childrens songs in there as well.

I think these songs are presented in the simplest manner possible. For example Number 38, which I have played on oud before in 10/8 rather than 6/8 is listed as "Hoy Nazan" (barz orinag) [Hoy Nazan - simple example]. You have to take these raw melodies and embellish them if you are going to play them on oud. But they are folk songs and not "ashoughagan" = minstrel, semi-classical tunes, so yeah they're going to be pretty simple, until you get into like some of the more complex dances (tamzara, laz bar, etc) none of which I see in this collection.

#55 is another one i've heard played on the oud as a 10/8, actually as a "bijo bar" from the region of sepastia.

the winners in this collection are going to be the 2/4 line dance type songs for example #60 - great song, but you have to embellish it when you play it. the style here is the same style as for example "lorke lorke", "hele hele", and from the shoghaken albums "mayroke" "jakhragi vod" (if you are familiar with any of those songs. i assume you know "hele-hele")... there is a way to play hele-hele or lorke with the simplest notes and there is also a way to embellish them. these are basically 2/4 line dance melodies from eastern turkey. they just kind of roll along. but to play it right you kind of have to know the genre already. if you know how to play hele hele and embellish it, not just play the most basic notes in the melody, you will probably be able to make use of a lot of the 2/4 type stuff in this collection - even more so if you know lorke which is definetly in the style of this songbook. or a turkish example would be sala sana. again very simple melody, but can be embellished. but this songbook is not going to teach you the style and embellishment necessary to play these types of songs on the oud....but of course you know that. some of these simple line dances are intended to be very simple to induce a trance like enviroment among the dancers when played correctly. its very close to the earth, like peasants dancing.

Go To Top