Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: ALL ABOUT FIXED BRIDGES
rojaros
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 11:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  
I believe that the oud bridge is not an effective feature to adjust the string action...

It may depend on what kind of adjustments you were thinking of. One might be not able to compensate for significant deformation of the top or body, but with the structure of the oud being sound I can ( at least with my oud) adjust the string within a range that starts with an action that is too low (excessive buzz) up to an action that is too high (for my taste). I just start with too low action and raise the strings gradually until I reach this sweet spot that is just right.

Best wishes
Robert
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 12:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by majnuunNavid  

I wonder what everyone thinks about the bridge style of these, especially the way the strings are tied to the bridge. We use loop ends to get the string stuck in the hole in the bridge and bring the string up an over the bridge similar to how a guitar is strung.

It is easily visible from the picture I have attached.

Nice to see that more and more ouds are built with just one hole. For me this seems to be acoustically the most natural choce.

As to the bridge: one would have to compare a recording before and after this modification has been done. I would guess that the sound becomes more guitar like.

The transmission principle of the traditional oud (and lute) is, from what I can see, basically through the torque exerted on the top via the lever of the bridge, with certain additional transmission via the ends of the strings being driven (pull up and pull down happening, because the structure is not rigid). While the torque remains more or less same with a saddle bone, the pull up is interrupted, so that there is some kind of a nonlinearity introduced into the vibration, increasing the amount of nonharmonic overtones. I suspect it makes the oud sound sharper or rougher than before.

But this is just my humble theory, how did you perceive the change?

Optically, to me it certainly is something one has to adapt to, first, a very uncommon sight...

Best wishes
Robert
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 12:17 AM

It is easily visible from the picture I have attached....

Less visible but striking is also the construction of the nut on your oud.
If I see it properly the strings are led over little brass wheels and than pass a bone ramp.

Could you please post a clos picture of the nut construction and explain it a bit?

How do you like how it functiones?
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 07:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rojaros  

It is easily visible from the picture I have attached....

Less visible but striking is also the construction of the nut on your oud.
If I see it properly the strings are led over little brass wheels and than pass a bone ramp.

Could you please post a clos picture of the nut construction and explain it a bit?

How do you like how it functiones?

My Barbat was similar. Mine did not have the special nut mechanism which you see. It is a nut mechanism that I have only ever seen used in Persian Barbat and I am not clear on its function. I will ask someone I know about this and get back to you. Spyblaster may know more.

rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 02:58 AM

It would be great to see a close up picture of the nut mechanism, from above, and also from the side, to see how the strings are stopped...
Thanks anyway
Robert
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-18-2014 at 10:48 AM
bridge weight

Quote: Originally posted by Alfaraby  

All About Fixed Bridges

Guitar & Lute makers have conducted some researches and concluded that in order to keep the proper amount of material for transmitting the best amount of vibrations and at the same time not to affect the SB vibration, the best possible weight for the guitar bridge is 35 grams and for the lute: 37 gram. (1.235-1.35 ounces). Since the SB of a guitar, oud and lute is similar to a large extent, it's reasonable that the best weight for the oud bridge will not be far from 35-37 grams. On other shores of the Mediterranean, oud freaks weighed antique ouds bridges made by senior oud-makers and found out that Mohammad Fadel's bridge weighed 36 grams; Abdo Nahat: 33 grams ; Tawfiq Nahat: 34 grams; Manol: 38 grams. Hence, we might estimate the bridge weight of the great antique ouds to range between 33 up to 38 grams, not far from the guitar, the lute and the modern ouds.

[/rquote

Great thread you have opened my friend !

I'm just surprised by the weight informations you gave.
Here is pictures of the bridge I prepared (with big help of a friend luthier for the finishing I must say!). It is pear wood, 14 mm height. Center block is 100 mm long and 7 mm width. Bridge basis 110mm long and 20 mm width.

Actually it is only 9 gramms

All the best and stay well

Regards

[file]30890[/file] [file]30892[/file]

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top