Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can anybody help me identify this oud?
oudalally
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 04:20 PM
Can anybody help me identify this oud?

Greetings all.

I'm very much hoping that some experienced oud players will be able to help me in identifying my first oud.

It was bought as somewhat of an impulse, although I have been interested in playing one for a while now, so it's somewhat serendipitous.

All I know of it is it was brought back from Turkey by a previous owner, which isn't a huge amount to go on.

It sounds quite nice (although my playing is very messy), and has a very bright resonant tone, and a pretty consistent action, though I've not played any other oud to compare it to.

I've attatched some images - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in anticipation, Alex
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 01:06 AM

Congratulations

Can't tell !
Label, bowl, wood & rosettes closeups, specified dimensions would probably help more identifying this oud.
Bridge, pickguard shape & location seem "too" Turkish.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
oudalally
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 04:25 AM

Hi Alfaraby, thanks for a quick reply.

I'm afraid I can't see a label on there at all, either on the body or inside it.

In terms of dimensions, they are as follows:

Fingerboard length from top of the neck to the body join - 7.5 Inches
Body length from bottom to neck join - 19.5 Inches
Body depth at deepest point - 6.5 Inches (approx.)

The top has a very similar grain to the spruce top on one of my guitars, which leads me to believe that it is the same wood, although I'm pretty much making an educated guess there.

I've taken some more photos to highlight the rosettes and bowl (apologies for the poor lighting, but the window is directly above in the roof and it's very difficult to get rid of the glare).

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by too Turkish?

If I've taken your meaning correctly, it suggests that this is made elsewhere, and has been styled to look Turkish (almost like it's a tourist's trinket perhaps, like those wooden carved fifes that never play quite right).
Either way, I don't mind as I plan to build up a collection of Ouds - I can see myself becoming rather addicted to this instrument!!!

Many thanks once again, Alex
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 05:31 AM

Hi there,
what you have there is a typicall run of the mill student model turkish oud. I can say with 99% probability it was made in turkey. Those kinds of ouds are destined for kids as a first instrument to see if they like it or for tourists aswell. From what I see the construction is very clean. The pegs and the bridge leave a bit to be desired but then again this isnt professional instrument.

If you dont mind the sound I say keep it and make it the oud you take with you on a picnic or camping. You always need that kind of oud.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
oudalally
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 05:47 AM

Hi Samir.

I was beginning to suspect it was a "cheap and cheerful" one, which doesn't bother me at all.
It does play rather nicely, and the sound is resonant and very clear, so I'm going to stick with it and see about getting a better one once I can justify the cost.

To be honest, I tend not to like selling my 'first' instruments, even when they're not fantastic ones, as they do develop a huge sentimental value, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that tenancy.

The pegs do leave a lot to be desired. They're very soft, and stick a little which isn't ideal, but this is very dependent on humidity and temperature.
I have a set of ebony pegs on order, along with some new strings, which should hopefully make the oud less susceptible to tuning issues, but we shall see.

Could you speculate as to the wood used on the bowl? The grain looks vaguely like mahogany, but it doesn't seem the right colour tone to me.

Also, as ball park figure, could you give me an idea of the value of a beginners oud of this sort of style? I'm curious as to whether I got a decent price on it :)

Sorry to bombard with questions, but I'm pretty excited about it and might be a little over enthusiastic....

Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oudalally  

I was beginning to suspect it was a "cheap and cheerful" one, which doesn't bother me at all.

The Pantene Pro-V of ouds? [I remember a girl-friend once saying to me that Pantene was a cheap and cheerful shampoo which did the job well for when you couldn't get anything more expensive. As to why the hell we were talking about shampoo, I can't remember].

Anyway, nice to see you joining the Turkish oud ranks. I'm a recent initiate myself, about six months in. I find it quite an addictive instrument, not a day goes past without playing.

Consider sending some photos to the oud gallery? Mine is somewhere in there as well.

http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/gallery.html

What tuning have you got it using?
oudalally
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 03:13 PM

I've never understood shampoo at all if I'm honest. I'm sure I've talked about it in the past but for some reason, most shampoo related conversations just don't stick in the brain!

I've only had the oud a few days so far, but it's really very addictive! I've recently started playing the mandolin too, so I have a fair amount to learn still.

It's in the traditional Turkish tuning at the moment.
I'd like to experiment with tunings a bit more, but I shall hold off until my new strings and ebony pegs arrive.

I've been using a soft guitar pick until the buffalo horn risha gets here.

It's like being a kid at christmas again....

I'm uncertain whether this is really a candidate for the gallery, but you never know.

Go To Top