Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Body cracks and humidity
oudalally
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 06:05 AM
Body cracks and humidity

Hello All.

After having a proper look around my first oud, I've noticed a crack in the surface near the join with the neck.

It looks as though this is the result of a change in humidity and/or temperature which has happened far too quickly, so I'm looking into ways to repair it.

I've fixed similar problems on guitars before, but this oud has an untreated top which will make it more susceptible to moisture.

Can anybody suggest a good humidifier, or any care tips which will minimise the possible damage to the oud resulting from moisture?

Unfortunately, I live in the uk right on the coast, and temperature can vary wildly here over the year.
I'm doing my best to keep the humidity fairly consistent for my guitars, but this doesn't seem to be enough for the oud.

Once again, any help is very much appreciated.

Regards, Alex
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 11:12 AM

Are you sure you need a humidifier, or do you need a dehumidifier?

Living in London, things are fairly humid here, even at this time of year. I try to keep the humidity under 70% as much as I can and that seems to be OK for the oud.

As for dehumidifiers, I can recommend this one, which is the one I use. http://www.amazon.co.uk/PREM-I-AIR-ADVANCED-COMPACT-DEHUMIDIFIER-EX...

However, if it is a humidifier you need, I will have to leave the advice to someone else, but I'm sure Amazon can give you a good idea.

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 12:33 PM

Depending on where you got it, what quality it is and how old it is, it may just be unseasoned wood drying out. In the free market race to mediocrity, many low priced ouds are built with poor quality unseasoned woods.

oudalally
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lysander  
Are you sure you need a humidifier, or do you need a dehumidifier?

Living in London, things are fairly humid here, even at this time of year. I try to keep the humidity under 70% as much as I can and that seems to be OK for the oud.

We're right on the coast further North, and it tends to be fairly humid here a lot of the time.
However, the heating in the house tends to make the humidity much lower. It could be the frequent changes happening too quickly.
To be honest, I need to take it to a luthier to get it looked over to see whether its even worth an extensive repair.

I'm assuming that it needs a humidifier as the crack on the surface seems to be the result of the two halves of the top pulling away from each-other, leading me to suspect drying.

That said....
Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  
Depending on where you got it, what quality it is and how old it is, it may just be unseasoned wood drying out.

This is a very strong possibility. IF this is just the result of unseasoned wood drying, whatever I do to the humidity will most likely prolong the problem and mean it's even less likely the oud will settle.

I posted some pictures of the oud in question on another thread, and it has been suggested by much seasoned players that this is a beginners Turkish oud of the cheap and cheerful variety.

The back of the bowl and neck are lacquered, but the top is untreated wood (possibly spruce).

I'm half tempted to just run a thin seam of resin into the crack, but I'd like to know the cause before I make any repair attempt for fear of making it worse.

The tuners were pretty much stuck solid when I got it, and it had been pretty much unplayed for at least a year, so it's hard to say how well it will settle.

I need to take a guitar in for a setup soon, so I might well take it along too (the shop has a well seasoned tech, so even if he can't help, he might know somebody local who can).

Go To Top