Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: udi hrant turkish song any guesses?
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 09:58 PM
udi hrant turkish song any guesses?

hi guys

i was just listening to the udi hrant compilation that's simply titled "udi hrant"....i just put it on to tune my oud, i haven't listened to it very much. i played track 6 and I almost started crying........the track is titled "hicaz sarki karsilama"....but these are tapes from hrant's lessons with jimmy shahrigian. they are not straight recordings. on track 6 he starts out singing this song in 4/4 meter and then he says "karsilama" and THEN starts playing and singing "indim yarin bahcesine" in 9/8. but the beginning of the track is this little song in 4/4 that i really liked very much. i can't figure out what the song is. the lyrics are something like

kalemiti iti var
icinde hasreti var
gezer soyler aglarim something something.......my turkish is off im just making up most of these words and then the chorus

gelin andir askina
.........ben bir saskina

does anyone have any idea what this song is??? or the lyrics???

btw I highly recommend this CD. some of this stuff is better than his regular recordings, because it was just him chilling in this guys living room playing
http://www.traditionalcrossroads.com/shop/article_CD%25204265/Udi-H...
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 10:27 PM

I haven't a clue about the words but if I may offer you some advice about tuning your oud to recordings: that is an iffy proposition. On track six (and other tracks) of this CD Hrant is tuned a bit sharp of A 440. It's not high enough to break your strings or harm your oud. To be more precise, the *playback* is slightly sharp of today's standard pitch. There is no way to know to exactly what pitch he was tuned. Remember that tape recorders didn't all run at exactly the same speed and there is no reason to assume that a fixed pitch reference (like a pitch pipe or a piano) was consulted when Hrant tuned before recording. If by some accident he was tuned to A 440 and the tape recorder was running ever so slightly slow, the playback would be slightly sharp and the music slightly fast. And if the CD was not made from a direct transfer from the original tape but from a tape copy, we don't know if the two tape machines used to make the second tape ran precisely at the same speed. It would be unusual if they did.
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 12:38 AM

well, you make a lot of good points, but i wasn't trying to tune so i could get a perfect A440. I just wanted to tune the thing and all the strings were out of tune so I wanted to use some kind of reference for an A. also i often tune to recordings for the purpose of playing along to them. for instance with 78s, i have to tune it a half step down usually. most of the armenian oud players in the early 20th century tuned to A flat, from the 1920s up through the Marko Melkon recordings. Hrant, and then the american born players tuned to A. I have no idea why they tuned to A flat; I brought it up on the forum a while back.
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-13-2014 at 11:09 AM

Hartun,
The song is Kalemi Diviti Var. Here are the lyrics:
Kalemi diviti var
Içimde hasreti var
Gezer söyle ağlarim
Ne tükenmez çilem var

Gel, inandir aşkina
Döndüm ben bir şaşkina
Yetmiyorum çetiğim
Söyle Allah aşkina

Like perfectly drawn eyebrows
I miss her deeply
I wander singing and crying
What an endless sickness I have

Let me believe that you love me too
Come to me for God's sake
I am obsessed...
Tell me, haven't I suffered enough?

Our music is like an ocean...
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-13-2014 at 11:10 AM

and if I remember the tune is in 8/8 (usul düyek)

hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2014 at 06:01 AM

wow amos, thanks! that was perfect. and yeah i guess it was 8/8...im not an expert on rhythms i call anything that's even 4/4 unless its an obvious 2/4 :)

would the chifte telli rhythm also be considered duyek?
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2014 at 06:13 AM

You're most welcome Hartun.

Go To Top