Printable Version  
Author: Subject: first oud
organicEffigy
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 04:08 PM
first oud

hello,
I've had a desire to play the oud for a long while and have decided it's time to stop thinking about doing it and do it. though i need to buy one, i realize getting a chep one off amazon and othe rsuch retailers probably isnt a very good idea but being 15 i cant really afford the shipping form another country. Does anyody know anything about Lark in the Mornign and whether or not this one http://www.larkinthemorning.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_OUD009_A_Egyptia... would be a bad idea. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 04:31 PM

I think you can do better from the nile shop on ebay and pay less (including shipping).

Elie
organicEffigy
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 04:43 PM

thanks ill check it out. Also, being a guitarist i realzie the effect different woods have on an instrument, what wood should i be looking for when buying an oud?
organicEffigy
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 04:45 PM

oh i forgot, what effect does the amount of soundholes have?
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 04:55 PM

Here is what I think, you can also search the forums on these topics and you'll find a lot of commentary.

Wood: I would go for walnut bowl, spruce top.

Soundhole: One hole tends to be deeper voice. Two additional small ones tends to have a higher voice (note: some may disagree with me on the soundhole, however this conclusion has been repeated by a well known and respected oud maker who rarely posts to these forums)

Regards,
Elie
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 08:25 PM

Here is one on ebay made in Egypt but shipped from the US:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=623&...

If you look on ebay you'll find several from Made in Egypt but shipped from US locations that are cheaper than Lark in the morning. You might want to ask on the forums before you end up buying one. I am sure some of the members have purchased or know someone who has purchased these ouds and will be able to tell you of the quality and worth.

Elie
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 12-16-2004 at 02:01 PM

How much you wana ( oops my Bostonian accent) spend and which type (?) Arabic or Turkish? Mid East Manufacturing in Melbourne, Fla. is an importer of Arabic ouds and I believe import a Turkish oud. There is another importer that sells a popular no name Turkish oud on ebay. Check it out. I don't like having ouds shipped in the cold of winter though because you don't know where that instrument is going to be stored while in transit to you. It may be stored in a UPS truck or USPS truck in an unheated dry area just right for a oud destruction.
ScottC
Oud Admirer

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-26-2004 at 07:13 PM

I purchased one of those from ebay and they really have poor construction. The top is pine although I'm not sure what the bowl wood is. The inlay is done poor also and very cheap tuning pegs. These look like they were mass produced for the tourist trade. Just me experience.

Go To Top