Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sorry a Saz question ;)
pulse
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-13-2014 at 09:21 PM
Sorry a Saz question ;)

Hi there,

I was looking at this second hand saz (long neck).

Here is the link:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/green-valley/other-musical-instrumen...

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this instrument. The person selling it said it was of high quality and was bought from Atakan Muzik Aletleri (San Tic Ltd Sti). He also said it was one of the most expensive saz... the next step up would be to buy a fully electric saz?

Anyway... appreciate your help if anyone has any thoughts on this particular instrument :)

Big Thanks,

Anthony
teslim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-14-2014 at 09:10 AM

this appears to be an average turish saz... 1000 is too much --these are on ebay for 3-500 US...you can get a much nicer instrument for 1000 but you dont need to spend that much .
pulse
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-14-2014 at 12:46 PM

Thanks teslim,

Most appreciated :)

I live in Sydney Australia, sadly there aren't many (if any?) people I know of that makes or sells high quality saz. I wonder where the safest place to buy saz online is (other than ebay). Do you have any good recommendations of who sells the best saz? and that might be able to speak English? :)

Big Thanks!

Anthony
pulse
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 12:55 AM

Hi it's me again :)

I did a bit of research. I found 2 saz makers Toraman Muzik Evi and the other maker is sourced via Touch the earch (Celal Boldur).

Does anyone have any thoughts on these 2 makers?

Many Thanks,

Anthony
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 09:59 AM

Try the west side of Sydney. Auburn has got to have a few saz players, no? Ask some of them!
pulse
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 01:40 PM

Thanks Jody,

I will try this :) otherwise if anyone has any thoughts on those 2 makers that would be great!

Kind regards,

Anthony
pulse
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-16-2014 at 12:40 AM

I saw this saz... looks interesting, its make by BEKIR TEKELI.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261249956613?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&am...

I wonder if this maker is well known?
teslim
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-16-2014 at 09:30 AM
makers

Yes. the tekelli is made in the old style ,, they are considered one of the top makers < i have 2 instruments of theirs and they are superb,, the bowls are carved old mulberry which have a beautiful hum to the low end that i havent found in staved sazes.. each instrument of theirs i have seen is beautiful,,, you can find info on utube about them if you put in tekelli sazevi,, toraman is a long established saz maker who produces consistantly good instruments..Yilmaz saz evi is also very good .. the touch the earth folks buy saz by a company known for producing good quality instruments for a a small price,, the ones they pick are set up well and are a good no frills way to get into saz without spending a lot of money, they are very nice folks to deal with as well... let me know if you have any more questions.. you can check out our site on facebook called oud and saz restoration...all the best
pirsultan
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-16-2014 at 03:08 PM

I agree the $1,000 ask is too much for the Atakan saz. I can add that I did in fact buy a kısa sap bağlama from George (a nice guy) a couple of years ago. It was made by Davut Akdoğan and is a very good instrument (including internal pickup and equaliszer). I paid $500 which I thought very reasonable for the quality of the instrument. I had a quick look at the long necked instrument at that time and the short neck was much preferable.

Traditionally Auburn is indeed the place to find Turks in Sydney as Jody suggests although it has changed in recent times. I bought my first bağlama from the Arzum deli there back in 1984. I'm in Canberra now so I've lost touch, but you could try contacting the Alevi federation in Sydney or the Australian Turkish Music Ensemble (a classical ensemble but they may have contacts for saz leads). If Sabahattin Akdağcık (a renowned musician in Turkey and Australia) is still around he may be able to help.

Late last year I did see a Toraman saz on Gumtree in Sydney for around $500 which would have been worth a look, but I was not in the market myself at that time. They do crop up from time to time in Australia. Unfortunately I don't have any of mine that I want to get rid of at present, but I do have a Fuad Haydar oud for sale :)
pulse
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-16-2014 at 03:15 PM

Hey Thanks teslim and pirsultan for all your help :)

I really appreciate your advice, I'll keep doing a wee bit more research and let you all know how I go.

Big Thanks!

Anthony
pirsultan
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-16-2014 at 06:35 PM

Anthony

Regarding your question as to whether the next step up would be a fully electric saz, my answer is definitely no. A fully electric saz is a different beast altogether. The instrument on Gumtree has the piezo under the bridge pickup with no onboard pre-amp. This was the common pickup in the 1990s and until fairly recently, although I saw Arif Sağ playing this style of instrument back in 1987. Personally, I rather prefer this arrangement as you can add your own pre-amp. The common 'acoustic' set up now for bağlamas usually has the on-board pre-amp and equalizer but sometimes the sound can be pretty harsh. I guess it depends on what sort of music you want to make and in what setting. But the fully electric or 'elektro' saz has a very different and distinct sound and often, but not always, has single strings rather than courses.

Paul
pulse
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 01:34 PM

Hey Paul thanks for the info... you all have been so helpful :)

Big Thanks!

Anthony

Go To Top