Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: old ouds in cairo?
jahich
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-14-2014 at 07:39 AM
old ouds in cairo?

Hi,
Does anyone know where we can find stores that sell old (preferably Syrian ) ouds in Cairo. My girlfriend is going there next month and I am fantasizing about her finding an old hayek oud for cheap! I have a preference for the deep warm sound of old ouds, a couple of years ago I saw some nice old ones in dubai but I bought a shehata oud (Maurice) I should have bought an oud his father made.
Thanks

shanfara
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 06:49 PM

As far as I know the majority of oud makers (and stores) in Cairo are at Mohammed Ali St. It's very close to the Islamic museum (literally a few hundred feet). As you go into the street there will be no less than 20 or 30 stores that sell ouds. Some will have adjoining shops where you can see them make ouds. Other shops will be hidden in the very narrow alleys channeling from the main street. In my experience, buying a decent oud from there will cost you about 1/3-1/2 the price you'd get if you go to a nice neighborhood in Cairo. Generally, you'd be looking at price ranges of LE200-300 for beginners and up to LE3000 or more for more fancy varieties. I notice the store owners/workers will ALWAYS present you with the lowest quality ouds when you first enter. When you ask for a better one, then you'll notice the quality goes up with every new oud. I'm guessing it's a way to 1) see if you know what you're shopping for and 2) to make more money! Good luck.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 09:35 PM

I haven't been to Mohammad Ali St. since 2000, but the quality of instruments available there is not typically very high. That being said, I have heard a couple of stories from people who had managed to purchase pretty good, older instruments there. By reputation, the Gawharet El Fan shop (http://www.gawhara.com.eg/) is the most "serious" on Mohammed Ali St. On Mohammed Ali St., you will definitely have to reject the first several instruments presented to you! You might also try contacting Shehata (http://www.mauriceouds.com/2013/) , or some of the other Egyptian luthiers (search the Forums for more leads), to see if they might have something. Good luck!
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 06:33 AM

Really, who doesn't have that fantasy?

Ask Maurice Shahata, he is the one who found mike' old hifnaoui.

But the reality is that most old gems there are probably already found.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
ilnokaly
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 05:00 PM

I have a very nice Gamil George old oud (around 60 years old) for sale :) in Cairo

email me for details : ilnokaly@hotmail.com

Go To Top