Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Would you buy the Godin MultiOud?
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 2-22-2014 at 04:22 PM
Would you buy the Godin MultiOud?

This is new MultiOud review. After you read this article and watch the video you will be able to decide for yourself whether or not the MultiOud is for you. You will see specifications, and hear many of the different sound profiles this instrument has to offer.

I hope you enjoy!

http://www.oudforguitarists.com/godin-multioud-review/

hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2014 at 06:59 AM

Hi Navid. I saw your review. I am surprised at your conclusion that it does not do Arabic music well. It is really well built and a nice instrument to add to the collection. I could not agree more with your impressions on the quality. They did a nice job.

I have been trying to buy this instrument for a new months now and I had 3 defective instruments arrive from Musicians Friend. The EQ unit was off track and inside the body. This is a design issue where it looks like the unit is held in place in carved tracks in the body. With the cold winters this year I think the wood warped during shipping and made the unit fall off the tracks. Spring is around the corner and I'll try again then.

It is a beauty but there is no substitute for a real oud. This instrument should be in addition to a nice quality oud. Our friends in Canada have done a fine job designing this instrument.

Hussam
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 2-23-2014 at 07:09 AM

NO

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 2-23-2014 at 11:30 AM

Strictly from a traditional sound perspective, the MultiOud does not sound Arabic, but that is just the "traditionalist", or "purist" in me talking... I personally would play Arabic music on the MultiOud, but it just seems so well suited for Turkish Oud style.

There are a lot of really amazing Oud virtuosos who play high quality Arabic Ouds built by Turkish master builders like Veysel Sarikus and Faruk Turunz, but these Ouds neither SOUND Arabic nor quite Turkish. That is my humble opinion, and these builders are outstanding, but they create instruments that are more close to their own background. But I would like to be challenged on this. Unfortunately, I just hear what is from recordings. Until you play the instrument in person it is another matter.

I face this issue with my own Oud playing, I am Iranian, and Iranian music is in my blood and it is my expertise, Arabic music is my hobby. Iranian music invariably seeps into my playing no matter how hard I may try to sound like an Arabic Oud player. This is a challenge, but all music is like a language and each style is like a dialect, you can learn it, but it is a challenge.

sebastian
Oud Addict

Mood: no

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 04:55 PM

Hello everyone,
I can tell something about the multioud, because I bought one in 2012. After one week, I send it back.
For me, as a guitar player, I thought it could be the right choose for coming close to oud playing, and I recognized, that it was not the right way.
At first, it has not a real acustic sound for me, it imitates this, if you play electic. Playing it acustic, no matter, if it has got a more or less arabic sound, but I miss a lot.

Since two years, I play a very good instrument (Rapakusios) and now I can tell a second thing: learning to play fretless seem to be much more easy for me with a real oud ... You have no other chance, than learn to hold it in the right way (different to the multioud, which you take like an electric guitar), and then, without the look on your left hand, you recognize, that the dimensiones of the soundboard help you to find the right tones ...
I felt, the instrument teache me ...
I think, the multioud is more for someone, who likes a different semiacustic fretless sound, (perhaps in this case, I would prefer the Godin Glissentar?) In material, building, etc., I think the multioud is ok.

This is my first post, excuse my bad english
Jaffa Road
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 08:15 AM

Nice review.

You wrote:
"I would buy ... if I played a lot of fusion music with loud Western instruments."

Well that sums up my life as an oud playing musician, and I LOVE the multi-oud. I got it in early 2011.

You are right it does not really sound like an Arabic or Turkish oud.
but somehow it does sound like an oud.

Not worse - just different and it does sound GOOD- just different.

For me its biggest short coming is that it is not loud enough to play totally acoustic in an acoustic ensemble situation, but that is not really what it was designed for.

I can see why some purists won't dig it. But it is a very well built and well designed instrument.

Go To Top