Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Appraisal?
Nizzle
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-23-2014 at 08:47 PM
Oud Appraisal?

Hello all,

I'm a new Oud player. I just received a Turkish Oud made by a Turkish Luthier in Izmir, and I wish to know its value for insurance purposes. I have all of the necessary information(Luthier name, Wood used, Year, dimensions, etc.). I can also provide pictures. Is there anyone here that would be able to ballpark my instrument's worth? Best, Niz...

PS - What a GREAT resource this message board is.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 2-24-2014 at 12:37 PM

Sure, send me an e-mail to bulerias81 @ gmail.com

Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 01:58 AM

Great idea. I have sent you an email as well John.

Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 03:41 AM

Oh Good. So shall I delete this thread now that this private arrangement has been concluded ?
It seems unlikely that any of our other 2,544 members would have anything useful to contribute, or would have any further interest in the subject.
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 10:00 AM

Sorry Greg, but no one else was offering assistance as yet. John's responded to me, though I've had to put his kind help on hold since I didn't know it was chargeable. If anyone else wants to take a quick look in the interim before I get a more involved opinion they are of course more than welcome to.
hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 11:35 AM

The OP did not post any pictures or specifics to illicit any meaningful feedback. Of course there are many people on this forum that can provide accurate and professional appraisal - as much as possible without touching and feeling the instrument.
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 12:58 PM

Until Nizzle returns I will post some of my own. There are some photos of mine over in the oud gallery, the links are below:

http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/gallery/grant1a.jpg
http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/gallery/grant1b.jpg
http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/gallery/grant1c.jpg

This oud was made last Summer, scale length is normal for a Turkish oud. Our forum member Hamed estimated it at about £250-£350. I'd be interested to know if others thought this was correct.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 01:22 PM

That sounds about right. Looks like a nice oud.

An oud like this is difficult to gauge except in person, since so much depends on how it actually sounds and plays.
Sometimes "great" ouds don't live up to their expectations and "cheap" ouds far surpass them. I won't name any names, but I've more than once come across factory ouds from GEF and the like that were much better sounding than luthiers' ouds costing many times the price.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 01:37 PM

I am not usally a smart ass but I will allow myself to be with the following statement from my financial background:

"Usually... things are worth what people will pay for them, usually"

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 01:24 AM

Thanks to both of you. I'll set about insuring it, because these things are hard to get hold of in the UK.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 03:25 PM

Guys, I asked them to write me because I provide an actual official appraisal.. shipped to their address via postal mail and signed by me which the insurance company can work with. That goes for anyone else out there. Thanks.

Nizzle
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 03:43 PM

I feel terrible that I created heated feelings on my first post. I apologize. I didn't want to post any pictures or info before finding out if this type of request was indeed appropriate. I was trying to tread lightly. Who knew...
Nizzle
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 04:28 PM

Ok - here's the info on the instrument and I've attached a few pictures. I got this Oud from a very special person and I don't want to insult him by asking what the Oud is worth. I'm interested in knowing what to insure it for, or if I should insure it. Just want a ballpark for the instrument. Btw - It plays beautifully. Very low action, no buzzing, very even to my novice ears. Thanks in advance!

Luthier - Ilyas Cakan (Izmir, Turkey) 2001
Bowl - Turkish Mahogany.
Fingerboard - Black Wenge
Face - Spruce
Pegs - Ebony

[file]30614[/file] [file]30616[/file]

[file]30618[/file]
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 06:39 PM

You should have an experienced player record an audio clip, using as high quality mic as you can get. An experienced player will know how to bring out the tone, whereas a novice will not so much. The oud has low frequency overtones that require a large condenser mic to capture. Without these overtones the recording probably won't represent the actual sound. Consider renting a large condenser mic for a day, it will make a world of difference to the perceived value. This type of mic will also require some equipment, at least an A/D converter to create a digital file to post. You might be able to rent that as well. As mentioned before, the sound and playability can affect the value by as much as twice, or half, depending on the result. Actually, playability can be corrected, but tone is a matter of luck.

Or you could send a message to the maker and ask him what it's worth, huh?
https://www.facebook.com/udiilyas

Nizzle
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 06:57 PM

Yes, I have tried to contact him via FB. Sadly, no response. I used Google translate to do the English to Turkish translation, which I'm sure is a hoot. Perhaps he'll respond eventually, as it appears he doesn't frequent FB often.

I happen to own appropriate microphones, pres and recording equipment. I'll try and cobble something listenable together that represents the instrument as I don't know anyone nearby who could do this for me. It will be something simple...

Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nizzle  
I feel terrible that I created heated feelings on my first post. I apologize. I didn't want to post any pictures or info before finding out if this type of request was indeed appropriate. I was trying to tread lightly. Who knew...

Hi Nizzle,
Welcome to the forums. My facetious remark wasn't directed at you and was inappropriate, in any case. The normal response to your request would have been to ask you to post pictures and details.
Thanks for doing that. It is particularly hard to evaluate Turkish ouds unless they come from a well known maker, or are evaluated by an experienced player . I have some Turkish ouds that were classified as "student" models and were very inexpensive. They have good quality, well fitted tuning pegs and the finish is reasonably good. But when compared with a "professional" oud, they are not even close.

Your instrument looks very nice and I expect it will turn out to be a good instrument.

Regards,

Greg
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
Guys, I asked them to write me because I provide an actual official appraisal.. shipped to their address via postal mail and signed by me which the insurance company can work with. That goes for anyone else out there. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity...how much do you charge for an official appraisal?

Nizzle
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 12:57 PM

I'm happy to report the maker of my Oud (Ilyas Cakan)responded to my FB message! I have the information I need. Thanks to all, and apologies for creating the unintended kerfuffle :)

best,

-Niz
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 07:28 PM

I charge $50 for appraisal, as I mentioned above, "shipped to their address via postal mail and signed by me which the insurance company can work with."

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 07:55 PM

That is an entirely reasonable fee.

I dont think most people really need an official appraisal unless it is a particularly valuable or unique instrument, though—you usually only really need an appraisal if you have a rider specific to the instrument.

But if you have a rare or valuable instrument, an official appraisal like John's would save you a lot of headaches if you ever needed to file a claim.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top