Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Egyptian Oud - Unique Design
Rhett
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 10:21 AM
Egyptian Oud - Unique Design

Hello. Might put this Egyptian oud up on Ebay this weekend, wanted to discuss the instrument a little first. I cannot read arabic to identify the seller tag, though I make some determinations on comparative sound, design, and craftsmanship to other ouds which I have owned. It's a level or two up from a Gawharet el Fan, somebody put time and care into making it.

Description / Condition: The oud was worked (i think minimally) by Najib Shaheen, the pegs turn and stay smoothly, the pegbox joint has been repaired with no issues during restring. The action is low and really nice. No abusive cracks, some minor spaces between joined elements of the sound board which have been filled and stopped. Oud lives in a closed case 99% of the time.

Sound: I put up a quick sound sample with a lot of space so you can hear the quality of the instrument as opposed to my playing. It has always had some sustain, which I really do like, you may also like it. To me it sounds like an old man's oud from Crete, so that's how I play it.

Value: I remember what I payed for it. I want to get a sense of what different people think of the value before I decide the right place to sell it. To me, the design of the instrument embodies the value, and I have a friend that said he was interested in purchasing it for the design and for making a reproduction of it.

Anybody care to comment? Anybody want to buy it?

[file]30670[/file] [file]30672[/file] [file]30674[/file] [file]30676[/file] [file]30678[/file] [file]30680[/file]

[file]30682[/file]
hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 11:25 AM

Looks like the words are "Said Kamel Mursi from Asute.
Rhett
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 11:36 AM

Thank you.
ilnokaly
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 04:16 AM

I have an oud from the same maker you can check for it :) he is a good maker

Go To Top