Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: questions about strings and who can make a new rossette in Turkey
sandoval
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 09:34 PM
questions about strings and who can make a new rossette in Turkey

Hello all
I´ve been following this forum for a while and it is great!
I have a couple of questions
1º Which pyramid strings you advice me for my floating bridge 58,5 oud? to tune it in Fa, I don´t want to spend now the money for lute strings, so I prefer to try a cheaper set. If not pyramid, what you advice me?
Also I have an oud that the rossette is missing, so I want to find a luthier who can make a new one, big central one made by wood, and the small one made by bone, I have the model ready.
I´m currently living in Turkey, so is there any luthier who can make this rossette for me here? I don´t mind if they use laser to do it, maybe it will be better because it will be much cheaper.
any advice?
thanks a lot!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 04:48 AM

You can use the regular Pyramid 650 (Orange set) and just add the high f'f' (I have these in my shop). The only issue I can see is that some of the strings might be a bit short for some floating bridge ouds.

LaBella OU80A is a pretty standard choice for this tuning. You can also use Aquila—you just have to buy the high f'f' course separately.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 06:41 AM

+1 for the labella, this is what I used to do for my floating bridge ouds on the cheap. Decent strings but not quite as nice as the custom strings from D'addario or Pyramid lute.

Go see a oud maker somewhere in town I am sure someone can help you out. If you want something really nice, I would consider seeing this lady who is a sedefkar (professional sedef worker) her name is Fatma Ayran. You can find her on facebook as Sedefkar Fatma Ayran. Her work is stunning.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
sandoval
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 04:44 PM

Thank you very much for the info
I´ll check Fatma Ayran, and also try to find some oud makers and ask, the thing is that I´m in the east of Turkey, not much of oud things here, this is the kingdom of the baglama!

Go To Top