Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What type of Oud is played in Armenian music
oudmood
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 06:59 AM
What type of Oud is played in Armenian music

Hello everybody,

I am new to the forum and new to oud.

I was wondering which type of oud is played in traditional Armenian music, the turkish or arabic model.

Wikipedia makes it seem like the turkish style model, but when I see photos, it looks like an arabic style model. Anybody here more knowledgable?
FilipHolm
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 08:28 AM

I believe the turkish variant is most commonly used in Armenia.

It makes sense geographically, too
Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 01:34 PM

you are right, that's how it is.
alexander
oudmood
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 02:06 AM

Thanks, do you all know if they traditionally play in a specific tuning?
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 06:22 AM

The oud as played in present day Armenia and the oud as it is played by Armenians in diaspora are not the same music.

The typical Armenian oud tuning in the USA is

E AA BB ee aa dd

Earlier, in Turkey, it was often a five course instrument tuned

AA BB ee aa dd, or in the same arrangement tuned higher or lower according to circumstances.

If you use the Search function of this website you are likely to find out everything you want to know on this subject.
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 07:41 PM

Jody is right to say that in the Republic of Armenia they play a different type of music, however to my knowledge they do use Turkish style ouds (probably manufactured in Armenia) and I think they use the EABead tuning as well.

In the US, most Armenian players, and certainly all Armenian players playing the customary Armenian folk/dance music tune to EABead. They will play the Ottoman classical pieces mostly in E, as is customary, using the third course as the tonic, but when they play folk/dance music they almost always play in A and use the second course as the tonic. If you want to play "kef music" you're going to be playing in "A" 90% of the time. Except when you play in Rast/major key and then you play in G one note down from the usual tonic note. I mean there are a few exceptions, for example the song Hars-oo-Pesa they usually play lower in D since it goes all the way up an octave in its melody. There are probably some other songs with a similar wide range that they play in lower keys for that reason.

Keep in mind if you listen to Marko Melkon he usually had all his strings tuned a half step down, i.e. he played not in A but in A flat. So did most of the other Armenian oudists in his generation. (not Hrant though)

Also take note Richard Hagopian having gotten older can no longer sing out of the high A minor that the kef bands usually play in. So he now tunes a whole step down to DGAdgc and sings out of G minor. Consequently everyone else has to tune a whole step down when they play with him. So again if you see a video of Richard if it is recent (as most of them are), or if you get a recent bootleg tape from someone, he's probably playing tuned a whole step down. Not the case for his recordings since his last recording was in the mid 90s.
oudmood
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-17-2014 at 02:04 PM

Thanks for replys

Go To Top