Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: question about purchasing an oud
bitensky
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-17-2014 at 09:13 AM
question about purchasing an oud

I am interested in purchasing an oud. I am a total beginner, but I am an accomplished classical pianist and composer as well as a guitarist, so I am hoping that I can pick it up without too much difficulty. I am debating between apprentice ouds on shehataouds.com or a Gawharet El Fan instrument on arabinstruments.com. Does anyone know if these would be comparable? Is the apprentice instrument handmade? Both are comparable prices at around $400.

Arabinstruments.com also has an Ibrahim Sukar oud for $950. They only have one. Would it be worth the splurge and is this a reputable/reliable company? Any advice would be appreciated.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-17-2014 at 09:31 AM

I would be much more inclined to purchase an oud from Shehata than Arab Instruments, personally. Shehata is a luthier and has a good reputation, I'd expect his budget instruments to be pretty decent student instruments. Nothing against Arab Instruments, but they are not makers and are not going to have the kind of sensitivity to detail that I'd expect from Shehata. Plus, Mike (who runs the forum) is affiliated with Shehata, so indirectly you have him to thank that you can even ask this question here!

I am a fan of Sukar ouds, but $950 is more than I would personally pay for any oud I couldn't try out first, with few legendary exceptions (Nahat, Fadel, Georges).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
bitensky
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-18-2014 at 08:28 AM

Many thanks Brian. I appreciate the advice!
FilipHolm
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-18-2014 at 08:51 AM

You can get a Maurice Shehata Oud for the same price, which I would personally prefer. But it's all about taste so it's hard to say since it's your first Oud...
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 02:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bitensky  
I am interested in purchasing an oud. I am a total beginner, but I am an accomplished classical pianist and composer as well as a guitarist, so I am hoping that I can pick it up without too much difficulty. I am debating between apprentice ouds on shehataouds.com or a Gawharet El Fan instrument on arabinstruments.com. Does anyone know if these would be comparable? Is the apprentice instrument handmade? Both are comparable prices at around $400.

Arabinstruments.com also has an Ibrahim Sukar oud for $950. They only have one. Would it be worth the splurge and is this a reputable/reliable company? Any advice would be appreciated.

I would wager, and other forum members may or may not confirm, that progressing in oud is largely to do with the psychological tools of understanding the maqamat and their laws. I was playing guitar for years and I found the transition relatively easy as far as fingering was concerned, however, the West utilises mainly two diatonic scales, the major [Ionian] and minor [Aeolian], whereas the Middle East uses over 40, and it takes some time to develop and ear for quartertones. But you'll definitely be at an advantage coming from a classical background.
hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 03:35 AM

So based on your choices we gather you are interested in an Arabic scale oud. Get a professional one especially if your ears crave the best sound.
bitensky
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 08:54 AM

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and bought the Shehata oud (thanks Mike!). Can't wait to start delving into the maqamat.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 09:08 AM

Welcome to the forums bitensky and congrats on the new oud! No turning back now.

Best,
Mike

Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and bought the Shehata oud (thanks Mike!). Can't wait to start delving into the maqamat.

Excellent stuff. Post some pictures when it arrives.

How did you come by the idea of taking on the instrument?
FilipHolm
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 11:04 AM

Good choice my friend! I am infinitely happy with my Shehata oud, I'm sure you will feel the same way
bitensky
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lysander  

How did you come by the idea of taking on the instrument?

I've always loved the sound of the oud and I have a longstanding interest in modal music (maqam, Hindustani and Carnatak music). It just seemed time to delve in and learn it from the inside out.

Go To Top