Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: recording on the computer
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 07:01 AM
recording on the computer

hi i just got a 4 track ti really kool i recorded alot on it i am basicly a darbukah player but i added some oud tracks on it sounds really good so now my problam is its a tape and i dont have a mic it the guy gave me these wire but it doesnt work so i need to know if somebody can help me put it on the cumputer and what free program is good for this>
thx sammy
dennis perusse
Oud Addict

Mood: confused

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 10:18 AM
recording on the computer

hello,

In order to answer this the list needs to know what kind of computer do you own. If it is a macintosh (depending on make and model) you should have stuff built in to help you. If you have a pc then it can depend on a few factors such as sound card and who makes it. Creative labs is the standard by which most if not all software deals with.
They have been around forever so you know that you won't have a problem when it comes to technical support. Also they include a program called Wavestudio which allows you to record onto your computer.
Now once you get your program to do your recordings and it still doesn't work than either; A: Check your cable to make sure that it is okay; B: Make sure that your cable is in the right audio jack (ie the line in jack of the soundcard). I hope that that helps at all.

dennis
mach01913@yahoo.com

ps If you manage to get that to work could you please email me a wav or mp3 file of the notes EAB ead as I am trying to tune this instrument properly and have having all kinds of difficulty. If you still have problems than email me off list and I will help you out the best way that I can.
brianhealy2001
Oud Admirer

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 02:21 PM
tuning + computer

Firstly to Dennis, buy a cheap electronic chromatic tuner then you can tune your oud easily and quickly to any tunings.
Secondly when recording from 4 track to computer you need to make sure your lead (wires) are connected from the 4 tracks stereo output to the computers line input. You also need to make sure that you have selected line input as the recording source. To select recording source open the volume control (speaker icon near clock) go to file menu and select properties then pick recording and put a tick in the lie in box. Set the level pretty high butif the recording comes out distorted set it lower. Good luck
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 06:39 PM

thx alot both of u guys i will try that
thx sammy
dennis perusse
Oud Addict

Mood: confused

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 07:04 PM
tuning + computer

hello brian,

Great advice on connecting up to the computer. I have forgotten a bit on that process but I know that that should help him out for what he's doing;my problem is a bit different.
I am using two tuners, one for a guitar and the other a cheap chomatic tuner. I can't for the life of me get it so that the tunings get to perfect tune. They are either at tune but veering towards sharp or flat. This changes the notes that I am trying to learn by making them either sharp or flat and not in tune since the regular strings are not competely in tune to begin with. Any help here would be wonderful.

thanks; :-)

dennis perusse
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dennis perusse
....They are either at tune but veering towards sharp or flat. This changes the notes that I am trying to learn by making them either sharp or flat and not in tune since the regular strings are not competely in tune to begin with. ...

Hello Dennis,

The strings maybe crossing as the wrap around the tuning peg causing sudden jumps in tune as you turn the peg while tuning. If that is the case, I would make sure that there are only few warps over the peg and that they are neat and do not overlap.

Good luck,
Elie
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-27-2004 at 02:12 PM

haya all
thax for yr help but not good news it doesnt work i tryed everything. i really wanna put it down on the pc bc then i can share my tunes with you guys my family so if anyone can help me maybe the program doesnt work idk but if anyone knows od any free softwere on the pc that i can download that would help. and just to say i have a gateway if u know what i should plug in bc i am not that smart in cumputers thx again guys
sammy
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-27-2004 at 05:19 PM

Here are few links to help you figure out recording to pc:

http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/feb02/150202.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_9889_computer-transfer-audiotapes.html
http://www.polderbits.com/cassette-to-cd-2.html

Windows comes with a wav recorder, but wav files are large so you'll need a program to convert to compressed formats such as mp3. If you search the internet you'll find some of these programs offered as freeware or shareware, some sre better than others. The ones that aren't freeware are usually easier to use.

You could also take the 4-track to Radio Shack and they should be able to help you in picking the right patch cables and show in the store how to hook up to pc and set up the computer to record. Hope this helps.
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 05:31 PM

hi all
i wanna thank all that help me for i finnyaly got everything to work and it sounds great i have so many yemenite tapes and farid al athrache tapes alot of them my dad said there are very rare idk yet when i liten iw ill tell you guys but it works and thx alot again
thx sammy

Go To Top