Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: oud in 1590
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 03:15 PM
oud in 1590

Hi everyone a friend of mine engaged in Near Eastern studies sent me this picture and wanted to determine what instrument this was, assuming that it was an oud yet curious because it doesn't resemble the modern oud exactly and the picture is of a Mevlevi ceremony which he wasn't aware of ouds being used in (in that period) http://www.themorgan.org/collections/works/islamic/manuscript.asp?page=55

so this IS an oud right? and did they just have different shaped pegboxes then? and any guesses as to whats going on with the multicolored face? would it be better to describe this as a barbat? I said no because barbat and oud are basically the same, coming from a turkish/arabic source it would be described as oud.

thanks

Harry
Danielo
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 12:50 AM

Hi,

I think this is a Sehrud. Look here : http://www.turkishmusicportal.org/instrument.php?id=13&cat=1&am...

Dan
reminore
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 03:42 AM

it does look like the shahrud, which was played in iranian court music...
its funny, wikipedia gives the etymology as shah-i-rud , the 'king of ouds'.
etymologically, the 'r' has no place if that is the original meaning...what a nice miniature!
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2014 at 10:56 AM

Hi.

I love this painting.
Awesome colours on the oud!
Personally I think this is a regular oud.

This is more like a shahrud type.

danyel
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 09:15 PM
shehroud

This is hardly a shehroud, as this instrument is always described as having a lot of sympathetic strings (roud meaning 'string' in Farsi). It should be an oud, but drawn at a time (and likely copied from older sources) when the illustrator was no longer familiar with the oud. Cf. delineations of "lutes" in Western art during the 19th and early 20th c. CE. 'Idan (the correct plural of oud) were indeed falling out of use during the 16th c CE and were certainly alien to Mevleviye music at that time. The same type of largish teardrop-shaped instrument is commonly depicted in Shahname illustrations of the period, were the barbud is mentioned in the text. From Ibn Sina the word barbud has been used by Iranian authors especially in in Farsi as a synonym of oud.

best regards
danyel
danyel
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 09:24 PM
sheshtar

it could be a shesh tar (long a), a six string instrument apparently more common in Iran at this time than the oud.

Go To Top