Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bait al oud
PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-24-2014 at 08:31 PM
Bait al oud

I was at the graduation concert for four grads of Naseer Shamma's Bait al Oud here in Abu Dhabi last night.
Even though you could hear his musical influence in each of the selections, there was an amazing diversity among the four--a Palestinian, a Yemeni, a Sudanese and a young, 14 yr old qanoun player from Syria. You could clearly hear the distinct styles. Everyone played with a remarkable professionalism. I left feeling that these rich traditions are still alive, though struggling, and also beginning to mix with each other.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-24-2014 at 09:04 PM

Why *struggling*? Could you please say more about that?
PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-24-2014 at 11:03 PM
struggling

My impression is that here in the Arab world, which is westernizing at rapid pace, the native musical traditions are falling on deaf ears among many of the younger generation. There are noble attempts to replant those traditions--like Mr. Shamma's, but I don't know how well they will succeed.
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-25-2014 at 01:02 AM

I remember Signell saying something about how in the past it was customary to always perform songs from memory though these days sheet music is always used during a performance. But could you say something about what else with regard to the musical style is changing or evolving? And isn't this a natural evolution?
PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-25-2014 at 06:18 AM

Oh I am really not knowledgeable enough to talk about changes. I am only going on impressions. Mr. Shamma is certainly a dominating presence musically, especially since he has taken up residence here and his style I know is not 'traditional' but I have learned a whole range of pieces the last few months, Turkish, Egyptian, Kuwaiti etc and the people at the centre are mostly expats exiled from those places. So what I see is that room is being made for those traditions and for the encounter with modern jazz western music that you find in Bashir and Shamma for example. All quite exciting I think--if it actually takes root in the next generation! People are still learning mostly by ear and the written pieces have lots of addenda to them. As I said, the concert was quite diverse.
sandoval
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 02:17 PM

PaulS I sent you and u2u

Go To Top