Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: So I bought a Saz..
FilipHolm
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-25-2014 at 09:37 AM
So I bought a Saz..

Today I spontaneously bought a Saz as I got a wonderful offer for a beautiful instrument.

I've never played a Saz before so this should be interesting, and I was wondering if any of you have any advice or suggestions in terms of practice and so on?

Obviously the Oud will always be closer to my heart, and I need to be careful not to let the Saz playing take over :p But it's always fun with new instruments.

I don't know if this link works but here is a picture of the instrument:
http://instagram.com/p/nN53ZxiMnr/#
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by FilipHolm  
Today I spontaneously bought a Saz as I got a wonderful offer for a beautiful instrument.

I've never played a Saz before so this should be interesting, and I was wondering if any of you have any advice or suggestions in terms of practice and so on?

Obviously the Oud will always be closer to my heart, and I need to be careful not to let the Saz playing take over :p But it's always fun with new instruments.

I don't know if this link works but here is a picture of the instrument:
[url]http://instagram.com/p/nN53ZxiMnr/#
[/url]

Hi Filip

The link works :)

The Saz seems to be a "cheap" instrument, may be playable, but a Saz is much easier to tune for playability... unlike an Oud.
I don´t see any "nice-looking" elements, the pegs may be of beech, the neck without any covering woods and the bowl made of perhaps mahogany ribs ? I hope you didn´t payed too much... It seems to be a middle-scale-length-Saz, there are longer ones and shorter. It might have 5 or 7 strings ? Please buy new strings, never begin with the old ones. Some are of steel, some of brass... check out what is needed and what tuning to use on this scale. Check the position of the small bridge... it has a special position depending on the scale.

Allthough the Oud is more the typical turkish or arabic native instrument, there are more Saz-players than Oud-players in Turkey. Compare your instrument with much pics or vids on youtube... hear the basic tuning for your instrument-scale by checking the played instruments with matching scale on the vids. Perhaps the frets are wound in right order, this instrument might sound well. Were is the sound hole ? At the end of the bowl or at one side ? Take a look inside for checking the inner surface with an mag-lite trough the sound-hole. Try to make some more pics... and post them, please :)

I am an Oud-maker, but many turkish people ask me to build a Saz... Perhaps I´ll build one ore two in the future... but today I don´t know enough about this instrument (the making of)... but I´m sure it´s much easier to build than an Oud.

Kind regards

Fritz

Music is the food for the soul
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 01:59 PM

I just know that one day, in the far future, I'll end up playing one of these since a lot of my relatives in Turkey do.

They tell me... the oud is for the palace-dwellers, the saz is for the villagers.... but I fear saz ownership is inevitable!
FilipHolm
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 03:30 PM

No, it was a cheap instrument so I didn't expect professional quality. It does however play well (as far as I can tell) and looks nice for the price I got it for (Which was under 200 dollars do clarify).

The hole is on the side, the man who sold it to me explained that this Saz was called something in particular because of that but I can't remember the name as of right now. He does play Saz himself so I trust that his judgement isn't TOO bad when it comes to quality. I tried all the instruments he had available and this one was clearly the most well made and sounded the best. Of course I am no Saz player but the musician in me preferred this one by a mile.

I am happy with it, as I wasn't expecting anything spectacular. It sounds like a Saz and it feels easy and comfortable to play, and that's all that really matters to me at this stage. :)

EDIT: Oh and it has 7 strings, two double and a tripple. I also got a pair of new strings, a soft case and as many picks (Don't know what the Saz picks are called) as I wanted for free.

I'll try to upload some more photos and possibly a video tomorrow or in the coming days.
FilipHolm
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 11:11 AM

Here is a video of the Saz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhhgPlAVW-Q
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 11:44 AM

Congrats!

Chris Walters

Go To Top