Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Oud Playing & Lower Back Problems
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 03:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJE  

Thinking about the position Marcus and Lysander mentioned...I'm not sure this would be good for the knee and hip joint over time, due to the stress on those joints from the relatively stretched and "weighted" nature.

During any oud 'session' I mix up the sitting positions. I try the inverted Jounas brothers position, I sit cross legged, and I sit using the footstool. Just whatever is the most comfortable. I think if I had to do an hour in only one position it would get a bit boring sitting like that. When you think about it, if you sit at your desk for an hour, do you sit in exactly the same way for a full sixty minutes? No, you move around.

If I sit cross-legged [which isn't often] I tend to mostly do it on the bed. This can be very comfortable for a full hour and provides cushioning without lifting the oud up. An alternative to using the bed would be a thick, soft gym mat.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 06:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJE  
I tried sitting cross legged on a cushion this morning. Unfortunately it didn't work. The problem is that if you elevate your pelvis, then your legs slant downward, which negates the benefit of the position...because the oud is too low and you have to lean forward in order to play it. If I sit cross legged without a cushion, then my legs are in the perfect place to support the oud at a playable level...with a raised leg, like the effect of a foot stool. However, I don't want to cause new injuries! So maybe the best option is to get a foot stool.

Thinking about the position Marcus and Lysander mentioned...I'm not sure this would be good for the knee and hip joint over time, due to the stress on those joints from the relatively stretched and "weighted" nature.

Use a *low* cushion. You can put something under the right leg as well.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 07:52 AM

Here is a photo of an interesting ergonomic decision as to the best way to sit or best place to sit while playing a string instrument. Who will build the first oud chair? … a chair that is the oud itself.

[file]31258[/file]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top