Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud build wood choices/information for build
ksilakias
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 09:16 AM
Oud build wood choices/information for build

Dear members, in the future i will make my first attempt building an oud.

I dont have a lot of wood choices. But the woods i do have are quite aged fortunately.

Since i am a beginner i don't find it quite worth buying good woods.

I have quite a lot of greek and swedish pike. Some of the largest pieces i have are over 120 years old maybe even older, which i collected from a ruined house. I was thinking making the soundboard out of these since it's the only choice i have covering a lot of surface.

Now for the soundboard i also have cedar but i cannot imagine it being more than 2 years old, and the greek common variants of cedar dont get quite big so it would require joining the top definitely more than 4 times to cover the width.

My first instrument build was with pike, because i had no other choices, i thought it would be a very bad choice but to my surprise it was quite good actually.
However this was the swedish furniture type of pike which is considered to be the softest, it has quite some difference with others. The hardness index from this type of wood can vary between 500 or something upto 1500 or something, making a raw estimate( nearly as hard as palisander/rosewood) Im in hesitation so i would like to have your opinions on this.

It is because ive read somewhere that pike can also be used as a top, and im interested because it is so well aged if this would be a good choice to make. If i did have good enough cedar or spruce i would without hesitation go with these. Therefore i would like to know your opinions if this is wise

Furthermore a pike body would not be recommended right?.
I have some cherry and chestnut also both must be at least 5 years up to even more. But these pieces arent quite as big and would require smaller ribs in width
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 09:33 AM

Welcome to the forums brother.

My advice to you is do what is comfortable for you and trust your judgement.

You have a peice of aged pine you think is suitable for a soundboard and you dont want to spend much on woods... so I say try to use it :). The only way you will know if its ok for a soundboard is if you try to make one.

That said, without seing and feeling the wood, no one can provide you the right advice. So if spending a bit more and ordering the right piece of spruce will make you sleep easy go for it.

pine body... nah dont do it. Its not impossible but I dont think you would like the result since its the same amount of work. If you are going to make something, make something beautiful.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
ksilakias
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 10:07 AM

Hello Samir your builds look truly wonderful my friend!
Luthiery is something i want to learn even if i fail a 100 times. as for building something pretty, the first instrument ive made was with no electric tools at all. Now fortunately i have some basic electric tools even got myself mother of pearl inlays and am focused on making something pretty as well like you said.

Ive been looking around on ebay and it seems the cheapest spruce soundboard ive come across is like 40 euros at least.

Would anybody know where i could get these parts at good prices. Part from a soundboard, i would also need binding, the ebony (my preference long) fretboard and the inlay stripe filets that go in between the ribs and the binding.

Furthermore ive already built a wood bending frame, im only waiting for my 500 watt resistance to install.

The other woods i have that could be used for making the bowl are approximately 4+ cm in maximum width
ksilakias
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 10:25 AM

after having read tons of information i have gotten to the idea that there are certain ways of making a good instrument. However after having talked to luthiers it seems everybody has their own ways and move more by experience.

I have some questions regarding the soundboard.

For example on a 4 string bouzouki the soundboard is usually tuned in a certain note. So if it is being knocked it would make the note F.

Ive also heard that every wood needs to be worked in its way but for a good instrument that is capable of making both bass and treble the soundboard needs to be worked in a certain way.

Ive heard that where the grain of the wood is dense the top needs to be slightly thicker to produce the treble, and where the grain isnt dense it can be sanded quite thin for the bass.

Part from this what was really important ive heard from an interview of a certain spanish guitar luthier is that the grain of the wood need to be dead straight.. not only towards the neck but i mean across the thickness of the top. both horizontally and vertically.. He literally said it is better to have a guitar top glued together by even like 10 times than 1 solid piece with imperfections.

If someone could provide me some of these basic tips on making a good build i would appreciate it enormously.. im moving very very slowly and taking as much information as i can now that im still learning as to make something decent :) thanks to all and take care

Go To Top