Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud through central Asia
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 06:46 AM
Oud through central Asia

Seeing as SOAS have decided to play around with the Middle Eastern connection this year I am looking to the passage of the oud through (technically soviet) Central Asian states, Afghanistan and Xinjiang. I imagine there aren't that players from this region but does anyone know of any and what, if any, influence the oud may have had in this region, and how much it is utilised in Uyghur music?
abc123xyz
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lysander  
I imagine there aren't that players from this region but does anyone know of any and what, if any, influence the oud may have had in this region, and how much it is utilised in Uyghur music?

Little to none.

In the distant past it was different, but for a long time now the long-necked lute has been the queen of Central-Asian, Persian, and Turkish music.

Search Google images using "Uyghur musical instruments", and you'll see that nearly every chordophone that pops up answers to the description "long and skinny", lol.

David
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 01:04 PM

Indeed. I think what confused me now, looking into it, is that the term 'oud' is used to describe the family of wooden instruments. At least here it is:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Chine-Turkestan-Chinois-Xinjiang-Mus...

Rather than the instrument itself, it goes to credit any player of duttar, tambur etc.
abc123xyz
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 03:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lysander  
Indeed. I think what confused me now, looking into it, is that the term 'oud' is used to describe the family of wooden instruments. At least here it is:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Chine-Turkestan-Chinois-Xinjiang-Mus...

Rather than the instrument itself, it goes to credit any player of duttar, tambur etc.

Oh that is strange!

They're using the word ‘oud’ there as if it were the English word for ‘lute’, lol.

Maybe a faulty translation of the French original?

David

Go To Top