Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hello from Bayat
Bayat
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-28-2014 at 04:27 AM
Hello from Bayat

Hello from Bahrain (Arab Gulf- Mid East)

I grew up listening to Abadi Aljowher ( video )
, fell in love with the instrument since. bought an Oud and tried self training but didn't like the results and now i'm taking lessons with a professional oudist. better results immediately.

glad to be here and share the passion for Oud with you all.
have a good day everyone and keep :airguitar: going

(not sure i'm posting this in the right subforum )
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-28-2014 at 06:25 AM

Hello Bayat,

Welcome to the forums. I must take myself down the professional tutorial route this Autumn, I am looking forward to it, though they may tell me I am doing a few things wrong!

Also being from Bahrain you are in the homeland of death metal band Narjahanam نار جهنم who use a lot of Middle Eastern influence in their music. No oud though... but good music nevertheless if you're into that sort of thing.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 5-28-2014 at 09:53 AM

Welcome, Bayat!

I had a (half-)Persian classmate in high school (in California, USA) whose family name was "Bayat." I have always wondered whether that name is related to the name of the maqam "Bayati."

Abadi Al Johar is one of my favorite oudist/singers, too!

All the best,
John
TomtheTall
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-28-2014 at 01:28 PM

Hello Bayat, nice to meet you :) I am a newcomer to the instrument and so far entirely self-taught. I hope to spend some time in London soon and get me some lessons with a reputable teacher.

John, I also immediately thought of Bayati when I saw the name :D

Lysander, I was quite into my "exotic" death metal as a teen - I must look up this band you mentioned!
Bayat
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-28-2014 at 10:39 PM

lysander- my oud teacher spotted few wrong things like holding the oud wrong way + other issues with Risha (pick).

John- In arabic the maqam's name is Bayat or Bayati. love the maqam. Bayat egyptian arabic style (video)

TomtheTall - i think working with a teacher is very important specially at the beginning to get the basics right. you don't want to build wrong habits throw personal guesses like i did.

all the best :)
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 5-29-2014 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bayat  
John- In arabic the maqam's name is Bayat or Bayati. love the maqam. Bayat egyptian arabic style (video)

TomtheTall - i think working with a teacher is very important specially at the beginning to get the basics right. you don't want to build wrong habits throw personal guesses like i did.

Regarding the importance of a teacher at the beginning, you are so right, Bayat. Not only can one develop bad habits that hurt your ability to play well, but you can actually injure your picking hand by trying to play the oud "like a guitar." Luckily, I got some good advice from a couple of experienced players before the damage I did to myself was permanent.

Best,
John

Go To Top