Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mirjanian oud wanted
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 02:39 PM

Dincer, I think I have a different LP. The one I have is The Ray Mirijanian Oud and Clarinet on Mirta. Unfortunately, this one does not have a violin. He must have put out more than one. I do like this one a lot.

paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 04:13 PM
Spelling...

Man, this is a cool thread...great stories. The spelling of John's last name -- at least the one I used when writing to him was Merjanian.

Cheers...Paul
oudman

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 04:33 PM

can any of you transfer the lps to mp3s and share with us? sounds like great stuff!
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 06:31 PM

Dincer, I U2Ud you.

oudmaker
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 05:46 PM

Paul
You are right. Correct spelling of John's last name Merjanian.
I took him to a place in Istanbul which his grandfather or one of his family member use to own. The place still exist and it is called MERCAN HAN. In Turkish "mercan" means coral, red coral and "han" means a place that contains some shops or rooms for rent.
Mirijanian is a make-up word in old Ottoman. It is "Mir-i jan-ian" Mir-jan or Mir-i can made up with two words "mir" means had of an army or state or master in Persian; like "Amir" in Arabic, "jan" or as spelled in Turkish "can" means soul in Turkish. You probably know "ian" or as spelled in Turkish "yan" means "son of" in Armenian. This is a very good example of how three different cultures influence each other.
So Raymonds last name was "Son of a soul master" I also told him so!!.
Regards
Dincer
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 10:09 AM

For a sample of one of John Mirjanian's oud go to:
http://www.cdbaby.com/derderian the song that starts with yegooryegoor and Middle East Fantasy are both instrumentals with Leo Derderian on oud.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 06:27 PM

Does anybody know if this is a Merjan oud? It was on the cover of one of Leo Derderian's cds--a reissue of a 1984 lp. I have never seen one of Merjanian's ouds, and I am really curious. I know that the oud on the cover of the Armenian Legacy cd really looks like a Karibyan, but this one does not. Anybody know for sure?

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 10:09 AM

By the way, Dincer, I finally picked up that album with you and the Ray Mirijanian group. I found a mint copy, still sealed in the original shrink wrap, on ebay, and sure enough, there was Garib on violin, and as well as your vocal on one of the tracks, and your really nice rebab taksim. Great to hear.
Thought folks might be interested in the liner notes:

"Where else can you hear the wailing violin (keman) of Garib vibrate through a fantastic array of Oriental modes? Alternating between the keman, the nay, and the rebab, Garib brings to his American debut years of study in a Conservatory of Music in Turkey. His knowledge of Oriental modes (makams) is fantatstic and other musicians flock from near and far to hear him."

Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-24-2005 at 12:15 PM

Just to keep this alive, still looking for a Mirjanian oud.
http://www.geocities.com/antronig/oud.html
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2005 at 02:27 PM

Again, I don't want to buy one, so, if somebody has one to sell, contact Andy. But, I am just trying to learn a little bit more about this guy, and the number of ouds that he made.
The oud dated March 15, 1983 is numbered 34.
The oud dated November 21, 1983 is numbered 35.
So, I am guessing that this is the actual number of ouds that he had made at the time (seems obvious, but it is not. Numbering on ouds by some makers actually is in code).
Any idea when he made his last oud? Any idea of how many were made all together? If anybody else has any dates with corresponding numbers for his ouds, please let me know.
Thanks

Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2005 at 08:44 PM

Jonathan recalling my one conversation with John I would think the one person that knew John's work the best to the end was Greg Vosbikian. I would think he would know exactly how many ouds were built by John. Good luck and BTW the oud you are building looks great.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-23-2005 at 06:51 PM

Thanks, Andy. Unfortunately, I don't know Greg. I will keep looking around for more info. I appreciate the tip.

Michael376
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-1-2008 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Hi PaulO,
Two oud players out here on the East Coast, Leo Derderian and Zaven Donabedian, play Mirjanian ouds, I'm sure there are many more. Many years ago Leo mentioned to me that if I wanted John Mirijanian to build one for me to hurry because he was aging. Someone from Florida did offer to sell me one but had a change of heart. If you or anyone you know of wants to part with their Mirijanian oud just let me know. You can get my contact info on the membership list.
Thanks,
Andy

I have a Mirjanian oud that i bought from my teacher Peter Dorian. It's a nice instrument. Also my oud teacher was selling two Mirjanian ouds and he may still have the other one, I don't know if he's sold it yet.
Michael376
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-1-2008 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Does anybody know if this is a Merjan oud? It was on the cover of one of Leo Derderian's cds--a reissue of a 1984 lp. I have never seen one of Merjanian's ouds, and I am really curious. I know that the oud on the cover of the Armenian Legacy cd really looks like a Karibyan, but this one does not. Anybody know for sure?

i'll upload a pic of my mirjanian oud and tell you how you can tell if it's a mirjanian in a bit. i don't have time to upload it right now but i will today.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top