Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Faruk Türünz Arabic Oud
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-29-2014 at 07:54 AM
New Faruk Türünz Arabic Oud

I've just returned from Turkey, where I bought a new Arabic oud made by Faruk Türünz and his crew. If you'd like to see it, I posted a review with pictures on my site, here.

I've also somewhat reluctantly uploaded my first YouTube video with it, playing a Nikriz Longa: http://youtu.be/sv01PvZ6nf4 As I wrote in the video description, I've only been playing for about a year, so don't expect anything great! I recorded the video with my relatively low quality video camera and internal mic, so the sound isn't all that good either. If I hadn't already driven my wife crazy for the day, I would have played the piece a few more times to get it a bit better. But...such is life.

The oud is incredible. While in Turkey I looked at and played numerous ouds in a variety of places, and in my opinion, nothing really compared to the ouds at Faruk's shop. The workmanship is just amazing. Every detail is perfect, and beautiful.

I bought a reduced price Turkish oud from Faruk a little less than a year ago, and I love that oud. But I wanted to try one of his Arabic ouds, and I just fell in love with the particular one I bought. So I ended up getting a "custom single" instead of the reduced price version. One thing I always wanted to see was a side by side comparison of the sound of his Turkish and Arabic ouds...online. I still haven't seen one. So in the not too distant future I'll probably make a video where I play the same thing on the Türünz Turkish and Arabic ouds. The sound is very substantially different.
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 5-29-2014 at 10:03 AM

That's awesome. Can't wait to see the comparison.

Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 10:15 AM

David, I recorded myself playing this exact Longa a few months ago. I notice that the sound of my oud and yours is very different indeed. The sound of your oud is definitely superior. I hope to have a Turunz oud like this one day.
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 10:46 AM

Thanks guys.

The biggest issue I have (other than improving my playing) is to capture the real sound of the ouds. Today I tried to make a comparison video/audio using my Yeti Pro USB microphone instead of the camcorder I used yesterday. But honestly I think the sound was "truer" with my camcorder, strange as that may be. However, even though the camcorder is better, I think, it still doesn't capture the depth/quality of the sound.

Also, the strings on my new Arabic oud are Küschner strings. And, since the oud is new they're not really broken in...and neither is the oud of course. I have a set of Musicaravan strings on my Turkish oud, which really need to be changed now. So tonight I think I'm going to put a set of Küschner strings on my Turkish oud (which I wasn't going to do as I think I prefer others), in order to have a more equivalent comparison...same brand of strings, both relatively new. My next set for both ouds will be the custom Pyramid Lute strings, which may end up sounding the best. Then, I'll do another video. But that will be a while down the line.

Anyway, I know there is personal preference involved in everything, but I love the sound and design of both of the ouds. It's hard to decide which one to play at any given time!
Bayat
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 11:16 AM

Beautiful
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 01:19 PM

Here's a close up of the "double rosettes" and the pick guard (attached).

There are two wooden rosettes in each sound hole...a "light" one at the bottom and a "dark" one at the top. The light rosette isn't cut out as much as the dark one, so it creates a very nice layered effect where the light/white color shows through.

I also love the traditional Ottoman tulip design on both the rosettes and the pick guard. :)

[file]31644[/file]
Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 10:54 PM

Hi David,
Thanks for sharing all your experiences of your trip to Turkey and about your new Faruk ouds. Exciting. I am planning for a long time to fly to Istanbul myself - one day I will... As soon as my wife allows me to buy another one!
But I definitely will spend a week in Vienna next october, 13th to 18th (having a lot of relatives there) - so if you are around at that time, I hope to meet you there maybe and chat a bit about oudisme?
Alexander
Doc139
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 12:18 AM

I wonder: what is the difference between these "new" arabic ouds of Faruk Türünz compared to his "old" ones? Bigger bowl? Longer strings lenght?
Alexander
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doc139  
I wonder: what is the difference between these "new" arabic ouds of Faruk Türünz compared to his "old" ones? Bigger bowl? Longer strings lenght?
Alexander

I believe that in this context "new" means "not having had a previous owner". New, not Used. I have seen both Turkish braced and Arabic braced ouds from the workshop of Faruk Turunz of different sizes that were made some ago. All along there have been small differences in bracing and in decorative details from oud to oud made in this workshop in accordance with the woods used and the desired sound etc. There has been the introduction of a floating bridge model. I am not aware of a New Arabic fixed bridge model. Is there one?
Doc139
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 12:46 AM

Maybe I was just confused with the title of this thread "new arabic oud" or by the announcement of Faruks new Irqi style oud...
Alexander
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 01:06 AM

Sorry about that... What I meant is that I purchased a new oud, meaning an oud that is new for me. Aside from the visual changes (pick guard and rosettes), I'm not aware of any changes to Faruk's ouds. Although as Jody wrote, maybe/probably he does make changes as his ouds "evolve".

I'm going to try to make a comparison video today with the Turkish and Arabic ouds I have of his. I would like to learn more about the differences in construction that lead to the difference in the sound, as the sound is very different.

Alexander: I'll send you a private message shortly regarding your trip to Vienna.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 05:31 AM

David, I am curious why you chose to swing the 8th notes in the longa . . . it is an interesting choice, I am used to it being performed with straight 8ths.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 06:01 AM

Brian... LOL, you're giving me more credit than I deserve. I don't know if "swinging the 8th notes" is a good thing or a bad thing, but it's not something I chose. I don't even have a clue as to what you mean. I learned the longa a while ago, and I'm just playing it as I have come to play it.

Mavrothi has told me on several occasions that I'm playing certain things with incorrect rhythm, and one of my most recent "assignments" is to start tapping my foot and making sure I'm playing with the right rhythm. So, maybe it's just something I started doing wrong by chance?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 07:41 AM

Maybe it's the New Orleans coming out . . . you are playing it kind of like a jazz rhythm

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top