Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Paco de Lucia and Oud
rojaros
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 12:06 PM
Paco de Lucia and Oud

Hello,
I'm just reading a biography of Paco de Lucia http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00JMVF6WA/ref=oh_d__o09_details_o0... and the author mentions Pacos attempts to play flamenco on oud.

Are there any videos or records where he's playing the oud?

An interesting book BTW, you get the flavor of the seventies ...

best wishes
Robert
conroystoptime
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 11:02 AM

Almoraima and Luiza are two beloved Paco albums that feature the oud on a few tracks. Others might be able to better share details on Paco's oud playing, or the type of oud he played, but the first time I heard these tracks, I thought I might be hearing a bajo sexto, because the sound he gets from the instrument is very different from Turkish or Arabic oud playing. Paco seemed to favor a deliberately "chorus-y" or slightly out of tune sound from the unison strings within each course.

I think it adds a nice flavor to the recordings, but he certainly didn't approach oud with the seriousness that he treated the guitar. He seemed more interested in using it as a little bit of spice within flamenco, and perhaps a tribute to the music's North African roots.
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 02:06 PM

Thanks for the reference!

best wishes
Robert

Quote: Originally posted by conroystoptime  
Almoraima and Luiza are two beloved Paco albums that feature the oud on a few tracks. Others might be able to better share details on Paco's oud playing, or the type of oud he played, but the first time I heard these tracks, I thought I might be hearing a bajo sexto, because the sound he gets from the instrument is very different from Turkish or Arabic oud playing. Paco seemed to favor a deliberately "chorus-y" or slightly out of tune sound from the unison strings within each course.

I think it adds a nice flavor to the recordings, but he certainly didn't approach oud with the seriousness that he treated the guitar. He seemed more interested in using it as a little bit of spice within flamenco, and perhaps a tribute to the music's North African roots.
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2014 at 06:47 AM

A little correction for those who are searching for the albums.
The title of the second one is LUZIA and not LUIZA.

Another Robert
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 05:38 AM

Here is the famous bulerias known as "Almoraima" The oud part comes in at 1:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccZqn5XToE

Paco was a beast, a real virtuoso and giant of the flamenco guitar.. and it maybe 100 years for someone to replace him.

Go To Top