Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: OudMaker Label, who can read Arabic?
peterbuis77
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 03:49 AM
OudMaker Label, who can read Arabic?

I've come across an oud for sale in my area & am trying to determine the oud maker. The manufacturer label as seen through the rosette is visible in these two photos, but I need someone who can read Arabic (better than my beginner letter by letter transliteration) to determine where it was made. You can see also see that it was repaired by Dr.Oud, Richard Hankey in 1977. The photos are too big to upload here so see my flickr photos at the links below. Thanks for your help! :)

https://flic.kr/p/nSSA5N
https://flic.kr/p/nQY2Ew
abousammy
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 05:13 AM

HI peter
i can see on the label
Damascus (Arabic: دمشق‎ Dimashq Syrian
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 06:35 AM

the maker of the soundboard is Richard Hankey, Dr Oud...but this you already know :)
the label say the original structure is Sunbat der Bedrossian (actually you can just read : ( t - der - bedrossian ) a part of the label being under tissue
the Bedrossian part was made in Zablatani neighbourhood of Damascus,

ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 07:35 AM

My guess is that the "t" at the end of the first name is relative to Garabet Der Bedrossian (the son of Sumbat) the year of make 1963 is also a second hint that it is made by the son Garabet and not the father.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 01:36 AM

Indeed, I forgot about Garabet ! Thank you Alami for this precision

peterbuis77
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 11:26 PM

You all are amazing! Thank you all for your responses!:)

I've searched the forum for information on Garabed der Bedrossian ouds & I apprehend he was a quality oud maker even if in the shadow of his father Sumbat's work. The oud I am looking to buy is not highly ornamental at all unlike what was alluded to in posts regarding later more mass produced models.

The overall dimensions are 28 x 14 x 8 inches and it is described as a smaller sized oud. From what I gather Arabic ouds are more around the 32inch (80cm) overall length. I'm wondering if this is indicative of his style being of Armenian descent and replicating models of a particular Armenian design or heritage?

It appears to be in decent playable condition but probably best to have a luthier look it over & perform needed repairs & fine tunings. The seller is only looking for $300 OBO. Any recommendations on what standard things should be repaired or replaced?

Sorry I don't have any other photos to show at the moment. The ad has expired but I'll see if I can get pics directly from the seller and share them here.

thanks
peterbuis77
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 12:23 AM

Well here are the promised photos. After taking into consideration that it had a new sound board put on it, the oud does look quite demur from the front, but then note the back of oud. It does have embellishments. Does anyone notice anything lacking or amiss? other than needing to replace the strings, of course!:):)
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 09:27 AM

For this oud, I feel like I wouldn't even need to see the label to know its Bedrussian after seeing so many. Especially the bowl.

ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 09:41 AM

However...the choices that Richard made for the face are unusual. I would like to hear his opinion if he's reading this.

The face is so not Bedossian style and not even Syrian: oversized bridge and pickguard and undersized sound holes. It has its own elegance and I wonder how it sounds... but the question that remains:
when restoring a oud should we try to "reconstruct" the original or are we free to "re-interpret" the instrument?
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 11:16 AM

It seems that the keys are placed for left handed.
By the way, they have a strange look.
And well ! for 300$ I would buy it even without keys.:)
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 05:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ALAMI  
However...the choices that Richard made for the face are unusual. I would like to hear his opinion if he's reading this.

The face is so not Bedossian style and not even Syrian: oversized bridge and pickguard and undersized sound holes. It has its own elegance and I wonder how it sounds... but the question that remains:
when restoring a oud should we try to "reconstruct" the original or are we free to "re-interpret" the instrument?

I have always believed in restoration to the original design. The only explanation I can offer is that the owner wanted a Turkish style face on this oud, with a guitar shaped bridge.

ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 07:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  

I have always believed in restoration to the original design. The only explanation I can offer is that the owner wanted a Turkish style face on this oud, with a guitar shaped bridge.

Thanks Richard for your answer, I should have guessed alone :)

Funny choice from the client....
YoelA
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 05:14 AM

Peter bought this oud from me today. I wasn't aware of the identity of the maker so the information was nice to have.

Seems that Peter has made a good buy - maybe even a bargain. If so, fine with me. It was time to sell this oud as I had bought one that was better in size for me - also it was Turkish, which is what I had learned on.

Happy playing, Peter.

peterbuis77
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 08:49 PM

Yes, thank you. I purchased the oud & I tuned it up. Playing a bit on this wonderful heirloom brought tears to my eyes. Still I have to replace the strings & I'm considering if I can get Dr. Oud to repair & restore it a bit to bring it up to its best condition as there are some cracks & signs of weathering.
YoelA
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 10:11 AM

The person from whom I bought this oud was a professional musician who primarily played clarinet, saxophone and mandolin but was experimenting with the oud. I don't know whether or not it was he who had the new face put on or a previous owner.

Go To Top