Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Large Bowl & Khaleeji Ouds
Is7aq
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 08:20 AM
Large Bowl & Khaleeji Ouds

Hello Everyone,

1) Does anyone know of luthiers who make large ouds? I held a [broken, unplayable] oud from Qatar, and the bowl was about 40cm wide. Quite comfortable, but my posture could also likely be improved. I did not see who the maker of the oud was.

2) Next, can anyone share their knowledge of Khaleeji luthiers? I am familiar only with Salmeen Ouds (because I am a big fan of Mohammad Abdu and Abadi al-Johar). Are ouds from the Khaleej--and I'll inexpertly include Iraqi ouds here, albeit I am not looking for a floating bridge--generally larger? Or is this misinformed?

Last, what would be realistic price points for either or both of the above? I have a cheap, factory-made Bavly and want to trade/sell up hopefully in the Fall.

Thank you!
hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2014 at 01:15 PM

Dimitris rapakousios in athens makes shehruds, ouds with a very large body
Wail
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 03:45 PM

Hi,

to be frankly I did not get it .. sorry..

but hope this will help you..

1- usually Syrian makers doing large ouds but once a oud teacher informed me also Egyptian maker can do it or that any master maker could do it for you. - you can find list of oud maker here in "Mike ouds"

2- for Khaleeji oud, the most famous are Salmeen - I heard he is using a Turkish maker - and there is also "Bahraini" brand that produced in Bahrain.

3- there is big range of prices you can find ouds with 300$ and more ...

br

Go To Top