Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Advice for reaming peg box
oudalally
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 05:08 AM
Advice for reaming peg box

Hello All,

I'm very keen to replace the somewhat absorbant olive wood pegs on my Turkish oud, but the ebony ones I have to replace them don't precisely fit the holes.

Rather than force them, I've replaced the olive wood pegs and intend to ream the holes to fit the ebony pegs once I have some free time, but I'd like to get some advice on this before I start.

I'm very concious that if I go charging into this like a bull at a gate, I'll end up doing lasting damage.

I'm fairly capable with hand tools, and appreciate that this could be a fairly long process to get absolutely right, but I'd rather spend the time on it than rush and do a bad job.

I'm currently asking around for any luthiers or violin makers who might be able to do the work, but I'm rather drawn to doing it myself if at all possible.

I had considered using very fine grit sandpaper wrapped around the peg and turning this in the hole with gentle pressure to smooth the gradient through the hole. Is this likely to work?

Any advice that anybody can offer would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 05:39 AM

check youtube, there is lots of stuff on peg fitting there.

The key thing is you want to buy a peg reamer and an adjustable peg shaver.

How it works:

1- Adjust your peg shaver by GENTLY moving the reamer inside the housing to the aproximate deapth you want the pegs to be and the thickness you want your pegs to be. Obviously, it will need to be a smaller taper than the replacement pegs are curently in so the peg shaver has material to remove. then push the blade of the shaver so it LIGHTLY makes contact with the side of the reamer.
this establishes the correct angle your shaver must be.

2- Shave a peg, you need to increase the deapth of cut little by little otherwise the shaver will bind and get jammed.

3- Test the peg by inserting it inside the hole, hopefully you were diligent and checked to werent shaving the pegs to thin for the existing holes. what you should have now is a peg which perhaps clears the first hole but doesnt quite make it to hole on the other side.

4- take your reamer and lightly (1/2 a turn or ever 1/4 turn at a time) start reaming the peg hole. Keep checking the fit with the peg every 1/4 turn or so. You just want to creep up on it.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
oudalally
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 05:54 AM

Thanks Samir, that's a really concise guide.

I shall have a look on youtube now and see about ordering a peg reamer!
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 03:43 AM

You might try a forum search for 'peg reamer' as making and fitting pegs is a topic that has been covered in detail many times on this forum over the years. No point spending time in going over the same ground yet again.

Go To Top